The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
First Steps to Scala

32 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: May 6, 2010 4:54 PM by Venki Balakrishnan

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 32 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 ]
Mark Essel

Nickname: messel

Re: First Steps to Scala Posted: Jun 30, 2009 4:58 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Thanks much for the introductory steps to scala. I prefer diving into a language after scanning some theory.

Curious about a simple action thought, with scala/lift is there a simple way to retrieve an rss feed (one or two lines)?

Eric Wilson

Nickname: ericbwilso

Re: First Steps to Scala Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:48 PM
I like Scala. It is an attempt to be more productive in the tradition of Ruby and Rails.
Some people think that Scala might allow difficult to read code on large projects with multiple people.
For that reason I have been thinking about how to reduce such problems. Here are two ideas:

1. Have a strict mode for the compiler which would force programmers into certain behaviors. ActionScript via FlexBuilder has a strict mode and I love it. With Scala an example of something to enforce in Strict mode would be a requirement that the programmer specify return types on methods/functions.

2. Another suggestion is to have an optional explicit interface declaration for methods/functions. In Java we tag a class as implementing an interface with the implements keyword. I am suggesting having a similar implements keyword for methods. So a function that takes another function as an argument could specify an expected function interface instead of a function signature. The purpose would be to make it easier for a programmer looking at code (that he/she did not write on a very large project where the original author is gone) better be able to track which functions could be passed to a given function and which could not. This reduces the set of possible code paths to consider and thus increases understanding

Thanks for considering this.

Venki Balakrishnan

Nickname: venkyvb

Re: First Steps to Scala Posted: May 6, 2010 4:54 PM
Great intro article that nicely steps through the various aspects of Scala !! Looking forward for more such articles.

Flat View: This topic has 32 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 ]
Topic: Developer Productivity in Flash Builder 4 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Never Call Virtual Functions during Construction or Destruction

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use