The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
The Law of The Big Two

36 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: May 9, 2008 10:32 AM by m limber

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 36 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 ]
Chuck Allison

Nickname: cda

Re: I'm blown away Posted: Oct 7, 2004 8:55 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Providing optional GC would be a big win. Providing
> useful (and standard) counted and counting_ptr pairs
> would fix a ton of systems, but we are still fooling
> around with this?
>
> Color me disgusted.

Well, an attractive collection of smart pointers has been added to C++0x that would make you quite happy, and GC is under discussion. (Color yourself updated.) But in the meantime, we need to get by.

Steve Love

Nickname: essennell

Re: I'm blown away Posted: Oct 7, 2004 11:38 PM
> that this is still the state of discourse in C++.
>
> Frozen in time for something like 10 years.

Well folks have been working hard in that time for a "new release" of the standard, which seems likely to contain a decent - and useful - collection of pointer wrappers, including counting ones.

If the language had been moving at the rate it was pre 1997, would you have preferred it?

> Still no
> standard reference counting pointer implementation?
> Auto_ptr is weird and error prone and this level of
> f fiddling is just madness.

Ah well, auto_ptr has its uses though. Less wierd I reckon than strtok. And less error prone ;-)

> Providing optional GC would be a big win.

I'm still bemused by the amount of people who think automatic GC is some kind of silver bullet (I'm not suggesting you are one of them). I write in C# and C++ a lot, and I prefer C++'s deterministic destruction. For one thing, it makes exceptions much easier to think about.

Steve

Bronek Kozicki

Nickname: brok

Re: The Law of The Big Two Posted: Oct 19, 2004 3:03 AM
There's one misleading sentence in the article:

Another way of prohibiting copy construction and copy assignment is to make one or more members a reference or const (or const reference, for the especially cautious)—this effectively shuts down the compiler's ability to generate these special member functions

As far as I remember, const or ref members won't disable copy constructor implicitly generated by compiler. It will only disable implicit copy assignment operator, or (more precisely) render program ill-formed when implicitly generated by compiler copy assignment operator is used.

alex

Nickname: ipodhelp

Re: The Law of The Big Two Posted: Jan 25, 2005 1:51 PM
can you help me by doing this referal for getting a free ipod or pc you chose..... Just sign in and complet the recomended Call wave form and i will guide you so no personal info is given..at the end(with just referring some people) of the we will both have and ipod and its not a fake..please !http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14135080

http://www.FreeDesktopPC.com/?r=14319525

http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=14321387

Thanks

sapa

Nickname: sapa

Re: The Law of The Big Two Posted: Feb 17, 2005 7:39 AM
I realize this is a newbie question, but does this code cause a leak for the old value of p_?

Example& operator=(const Example& other) {
// Self assignment?
if (this==&other)
return *this;

*p_=*other.p_; // Uses SomeResource::operator=
return *this;
}

Marsha Pros

Nickname: mkpros

Re: The Rule of The Big Two Posted: Nov 17, 2007 3:36 PM
Iam loooking for a Dan Teske from Cleveland Ohio .1969 Grad. of Rhodes High School / St. Thomas More 1965. Please advise if you r him ...Marsha PROS Gorman

m limber

Nickname: mlimber

Re: The Law of The Big Two Posted: May 9, 2008 10:32 AM

I realize this is a newbie question, but does this code cause a leak for the old value of p_?

Example& operator=(const Example& other) {
// Self assignment?
if (this==&other)
return *this;

*p_=*other.p_; // Uses SomeResource::operator=
return *this;
}

With all the indirection going on, it's a bit tricky to see, but there's no leak here. The reason is that there's no memory allocation or deallocation, only copying of values. That is, the assignment statement ("*p_=*other.p_;") is copying the value of other's p_ into the location currently pointed to by this's p_. Their allocation remains the same.

A simplified example:

int *i = new int(42);
int *i2 = new int(2008);

*i = *i2; // no leak here; just copying values

delete i2;
delete i;

Flat View: This topic has 36 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 ]
Topic: Rich-Client Misconceptions Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Application Factories

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use