The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Artima Developer Spotlight Forum
Amazon Introduces Relational Database Service

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 23, 2012 7:50 AM by Keren Blau

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Amazon Introduces Relational Database Service Posted: Oct 27, 2009 7:40 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement

Amazon extended its Web services offering today with an on-demand relational database service that provides the equivalent of a MySQL database:

[The relational database service] makes it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. It provides cost-efficient and resizable capacity while managing time-consuming database administration tasks, freeing you up to focus on your applications and business.

Amazon RDS gives you access to the full capabilities of a familiar MySQL database. This means the code, applications, and tools you already use today with your existing MySQL databases work seamlessly with Amazon RDS. Amazon RDS automatically patches the database software and backs up your database, storing the backups for a user-defined retention period. You also benefit from the flexibility of being able to scale the compute resources or storage capacity associated with your relational database instance via a single API call. As with all Amazon Web Services, there are no up-front investments required, and you pay only for the resources you use.

An interesting feature of the relational database service is automated backups:

Amazon RDS will automatically back up your database during your predefined backup window. For typical workloads, this allows you to restore to any point in time within your retention period, up to the last five minutes. You can also restore from a DB Snapshot, a user-initiated backup that can be run at any time with a simple API call.

The service is priced per hour used, based on the size of the database, as well as database storage requirements.

What do you think of Amazon's relational database service?

Keren Blau

Nickname: kerenblau8

Re: Amazon Introduces Relational Database Service Posted: Jul 23, 2012 7:50 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Hi,
I’m interested in the differences between the database service offerings on the market. If it is possible to recommend or point me towards some good sources for such information I would be very grateful.
What I would like to know is what are the key differences between amazon, xeround cloud database, rackspace, and any other similar service I’m not aware of in terms of scalability, availability, latency, clustering, replication, security, recovery, and pricing.
There’s just such a wealth of techy forums and question and answer sites and I want to be sure I’m looking in the right places, so many thanks in advance :)
Keren

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Monadic Design Patterns for the Web - PrePrint Published! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Getting Started with Play 2, Scala, and Squeryl

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use