The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

PHP Buzz Forum
Six deadly PHP sins, this week...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Alan Knowles

Nickname: alank

Alan Knowles is Freelance Developer, works on PHP extensions and PEAR.
Six deadly PHP sins, this week... Posted: Aug 24, 2005 6:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with PHP Buzz by Alan Knowles.
Original Post: Six deadly PHP sins, this week...
Feed Title: Smoking toooo much PHP
Feed URL: http://www.akbkhome.com/blog.php/RSS.xml
Feed Description: More than just a blog :)
Latest PHP Buzz Posts
Latest PHP Buzz Posts by Alan Knowles
Latest Posts From Smoking toooo much PHP

Advertisement
Fixing someone else's code is frequently the most annoying job that anyone with some intellegence has to do. It's one of those, pay the rent, scream and run around jobs..

I'm sure other languages suffer as well, but thanks to PHP's learning curve, software written in the language often falls into 3 categories
  • Half a clue (HAC)
  • Reasonably worked out
  • Over engineered
This week, unfortunatly, I had to attack both the HAC and the Over engineered, (not on the same project thankfully).

The problem with the HAC project was the end users had found a few minor bugs. (this was a PHP application that had been paid for by a client - kind of like a shareware type thing.). But luckly (or perhaps less luckly for me) they got the source code.

Bugs are a fact of life for all software, whether you find them when developing, or as an end user. There's bugs in all my software or features depending on how you look at it (see the bug list on pear.). But the difference between average and good programmers (IMO) is the ability to write code that someone else has a chance of understanding.  (and sending in bug fixes...hint hint....)

Untraceable code paths.
The first gripe I had with the HAC was the horrific use of random functions included from a wealth of files, making following the codepath next to impossible. (which file will this function come from? = grep again...)

The bug I had to solve was supposed to be quite simple the host name for an img src= tag, was pointing at the wrong server. (the application lives on a private development server running behind a reverse proxy, and hence the wrong host name)

Same code repeated in global scope
Like alot of PHP applications, this one had one script to respond to each url request (rather than a bootstrapper and class loader). The script then did the usual crap of loading config, libraries (bad joke there) etc. It then went down and had a big if block for each action.. (all in global scope). Apart from making the file rather large, it also would have made managing global changes to the site more complex. This is where this concept makes a world of difference.

class page_action extends applicaton_base { } 

Mixing PHP and HTML badly
Unfortunatly, no-where within that code was it immediatly clear where the image url or HTML was comming from. Yes another of those deadly sins, splattering HTML all over the PHP code,  resulting in some very large php scripts, which you have to look really hard to determine the what on earth is going on due to the excessive noise from the HTML..

HTML + Databases + $variables +  eval = trouble waiting to happen
When I finally tracked it down, (after grepping for a few functions that seemed possible candidates) I found that the tag was contained in a small snippet of HTML stored in the database. The HTML in the database went something like src="$site_base_url/$the_image_url". The author had decided that the wonderfully secure eval() function made a great dynamic layout tool.

Every variable should start somewhere
Now I knew what the variable was. The next task was to work out where it was comming from. A grep of the source indicated lots of instances of it being used, but not a single one creating it.

This is my pet gripe with $smarty->assignVal(), (and quite a few other template engines) you have another instance of data getting used with a great disconnect with the source of the original data.  Making backtracking code and locating where something occurred considerably more difficult. Let alone making security auditing next to impossible.

Global is almost as evil as eval()
Almost all the functions in the applications had a list of 20 or more global variables. This instantly made all the function completely un-re-usable. (it hard coded the implementation to the application). and goes back to the problem of tracking down where variables where created.

How may evil functions does PHP have - extract()
In the end, the culprit of this design was the wonderful function extract(), It had been used to convert the return array from a database query, and filled those wonderfull global variables. By making the result set array available globally the could would have been so much more readable, and it would only involve a small amount of extra typing (Copy and paste anyone). So after all that digging, It turned out you had to use the application interface to change that variable......

I guess in the end, this all goes back to the Microsoft philosopy, if we all made perfect software, then there would be no work for everyone fixing it. Although some of us would like to doing more with our lives ;)

Read: Six deadly PHP sins, this week...

Topic: Oh Curl, what will you do next? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: New PEAR Channel Link

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use