The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

PHP Buzz Forum
Prettybooked.com turning a startup into a reality.

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Alan Knowles

Nickname: alank

Alan Knowles is Freelance Developer, works on PHP extensions and PEAR.
Prettybooked.com turning a startup into a reality. Posted: Oct 22, 2012 1:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with PHP Buzz by Alan Knowles.
Original Post: Prettybooked.com turning a startup into a reality.
Feed Title: Smoking toooo much PHP
Feed URL: http://www.akbkhome.com/blog.php/RSS.xml
Feed Description: More than just a blog :)
Latest PHP Buzz Posts
Latest PHP Buzz Posts by Alan Knowles
Latest Posts From Smoking toooo much PHP

Advertisement
Article originally from rooJSolutions blog
This week saw the release of the latest site developed by Roo J Solutions, www.prettybooked.com a Hong Kong based beauty booking service. While the site has gone through the usual last minute bug-fixes before going live, it all came together in the end.

Developing a feature rich web site.

While we where busy finishing off this site, We have had a few other projects and discussions going on, and what has been interesting lately has been the realization that far too many companies and startups are having real trouble getting web sites developed properly.

Often they are cutting costs, and contracting under-qualified or unsuitable individuals for the process. Resulting in disaster hitting quite early and the project never being complete as their 'developers' have no idea how to solve the technical issues involved.

But the saddest and worst scenario's I've seen, has been the frequent employing of design companies or 'interactive media' companies as the lead contractors on web based development. This can be the most expensive recipe for disaster. In one case the cost of the development was bloated to over 10 times the realistic cost of the project, and what was delivered was just a prettified open source project. When the client started asking for features that the  original open source project provided, they where quoted quite unreasonable amounts. The sad fact is that the relationship between the supplier and customer was damaged beyond repair. Without a deep understanding of how software projects are developed, these companies failed to manage their customer's expectations.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

In another case a design company was asked to provide a custom web site, which from a design perspective looked quite nice, however as part of our installation on the server, we got to see the kind of code that was being delivered. If this software was a car, the wheels would fall of when driving out the garage, It was the worst and most dangerous code I've seen in nearly 10 years of development.

Read on for more about prettybooked, and how to get projects done properly...

Read: Prettybooked.com turning a startup into a reality.

Topic: Elastic Search Presentation Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: No, I’m not moving to Boston. Shut up already.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use