The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
What's New in Java SE 6 Beta 2 (Mustang)

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 19, 2006 11:58 AM by Frank Sommers

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

What's New in Java SE 6 Beta 2 (Mustang) Posted: Jun 19, 2006 8:37 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Java SE 6 ("Mustang") is scheduled for final release in a few months. SE 6 platform lead Danny Coward and chief engineer Mark Reinhold put together an overview guide of new Java SE features already available in the Mustang Beta 2.
Advertisement

Not too many years ago, it was possible for a developer to claim that he or she knew "Java." That implied familiarity with the Java language and one or more of the three Java platforms (SE, EE, and ME).

Today, few developers would claim such a comprehensive knowledge of "Java"—it is hardly possible for one to become equally familiar with all aspects of the various Java platforms. With the release of Java SE 6, it seems that even familiarity with all aspects of the SE platform will require a major investment of time.

SE 6 platform lead Danny Coward and chief engineer Mark Reinhold compiled a list of features that will be new in Java SE 6. The list, What's New in Java SE 6 Beta 2 (Mustang) provides a nice overview of coming attractions, and is sure to include surprises for almost anyone.

What SE 6 feature surprised you the most?

Jeff Ratcliff

Nickname: jr1

JavaScript? Posted: Jun 19, 2006 11:38 AM
I guess this is good news for beginners who confuse JavaScript with Java. Experienced Java programmers can no longer sneer "JavaScript has nothing to do with Java".

I don't see a lot of value in this feature, but perhaps others can.

Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Re: JavaScript? Posted: Jun 19, 2006 11:58 AM
> I guess this is good news for beginners who confuse
> JavaScript with Java. Experienced Java programmers can no
> longer sneer "JavaScript has nothing to do with Java".
>
> I don't see a lot of value in this feature, but perhaps
> others can.

Yes, I was rather surpised to see JavaScript as a supported scripting language, although perhaps I shouldn't have been. JavaScript may yet to emerge as an important scripting language outside the browser environment as well, as libraries, such as Prototype, make development work easier with JavaScript. Of course, there's a long way to go before I'd switch from Ruby or Perl to JavaScript in general-purpose scripting...

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: What's New in Java SE 6 Beta 2 (Mustang) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A Look at Resource Injection through Annotations

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use