The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Are Authors Technological Poseurs?

30 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Oct 3, 2007 9:25 AM by Rene Clabaugh

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 ]
Rene Clabaugh

Nickname: abcdefghi

Re: Are Authors Technological Poseurs? Posted: Oct 3, 2007 9:25 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
In my own writing it is difficult to deliver on a document covering everything. My documents are published internally at a much smaller scale than "books" in this discussion.

The main stumbling block with large documents, 150 to 250 pages, is not with generating the content, but rather with finding able reviewers. It seems that no one wants to do 1000 pushups a day to get through unfamiliar detail.

A solution that is working for me is publishing by only by chapters, 40 pages max per document. Reviewing effort is down to 200 pushups, all in on one day, to educate the reviewers, make revisions and approve publishing.

The suggestion about reading from a range of qualified authors makes sense in this light as well. It suggests that different people could write shorter books within their area of expertise. Perhaps the experts would then find time to author material while still in full pursuit of code.

Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 ]
Topic: Is WYSIWYG Still Important? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: AppFuse 2.0 Released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use