The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
AppFuse 2.0 Released

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Oct 3, 2007 1:14 AM by Laurent ROCHE

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

AppFuse 2.0 Released Posted: Sep 26, 2007 2:46 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Matt Raible released a new version of AppFuse, an open-source toolkit that simplifies enterprise Java application development. New features include Maven support and Struts 2 integration.
Advertisement

Matt Raible released AppFuse 2.0, an open-source toolkit that combines various Java tools and conventions in order to shorten the ramp-up when starting new enterprise Java projects. AppFuse provides Ant and Maven-based tasks to build, test, and deploy Java applications, and also simplifies dependency management for an enterprise Java project:

It was originally developed to eliminate the ramp-up time found when building new web applications for customers. At its core, AppFuse is a project skeleton, similar to the one that's created by your IDE when you click through a wizard to create a new web project....

Maven keeps the AppFuse core classes as dependencies. You add your code, and Maven will merge in the code from AppFuse. This should make it much easier for you to upgrade to future releases of AppFuse.

New features in AppFuse 2.0 include:

• Maven 2 Integration
  • Upgraded WebWork to Struts 2
  • JDK 5, Annotations, JSP 2.0, Servlet 2.4
  • JPA Support
  • Generic CRUD backend
  • Full Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans support
  • Fast startup and no deploy with Maven Jetty Plugin
  • Testable on multiple appservers and databases with Cargo and profiles

What do you think of AppFuse as a productivity tool?

Ivan Lazarte

Nickname: ilazarte

Re: AppFuse 2.0 Released Posted: Oct 1, 2007 6:55 AM
Still waiting for the killer intro tutorial. I've played around with it, and started a new app, but beyond it nothing much.

The quick start they have is ok, maybe I just didn't find the right documentation.

Matt Raible

Nickname: mraible

Re: AppFuse 2.0 Released Posted: Oct 1, 2007 7:20 AM
What steps are you having difficulty with? You might try joining the mailing list and asking questions there.

http://appfuse.org/display/APF/Mailing+Lists

Ivan Lazarte

Nickname: ilazarte

Re: AppFuse 2.0 Released Posted: Oct 1, 2007 12:25 PM
Hi Matt, congrats! No step in particular, I thought maybe there just might be one tutorial that really has it all, kind of like the 4 part article that comes with Spring.

I'll probably give this link another look though:
http://appfuse.org/display/APF/Tutorials

Laurent ROCHE

Nickname: lau

Re: AppFuse 2.0 Released Posted: Oct 3, 2007 1:14 AM
I have used AppFuse 1.9.4 modified.
We have changed WebWorks to use Struts 2 and we have modified displaytags and some models.

All in all I have found really useful.
My biggest gripes are not really AppFuse problems:
- AppGen is OK but could be better at producing code straight away useful (moving all the code generated is kind of a waste of time)
- There's no "good" (for me) display model (for the JSP pages) to be able to control the display on screen.

Basically, I have found all the J2EE stuff quite immature (and not mentioning Dojo and all) ... but that's not AppFuse fault, on the contrary AppFuse helps well to get all of these different libraries working !

Carry on the good work, Matt.

PS: Considering our application is up and running and that not knowing Maven, I don't see any advantages in using it, we have no plans to migrate to AppFuse 2 for now !

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: Are Authors Technological Poseurs? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Quaere Project Moves to Codehaus, Releases Updates

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use