The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Implicit Arguments in Scala

16 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Apr 1, 2008 4:36 PM by Andy Dent

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Matthias Becker

Nickname: matthiasb

Re: Implicit Arguments in Scala Posted: Apr 1, 2008 1:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
"the examples given in the post are pretty trivial, so I'd be interested in hearing some actual use cases for this."

Think about Haskell's type classes. You can do some things you can do with type classes with implicit arguments.

Or think about simple cases of dependency injection (normaly you use big frameworks like Spring or Guice for this).

Andy Dent

Nickname: andydent

Re: Implicit Arguments in Scala Posted: Apr 1, 2008 4:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply
On re-reading this blog entry and the comments, one thing struck me - the utter futility of using simple examples that lead to negative judgements.

If a feature is powerful in a given manner of using it but can be misinterpreted, why invite the grief by starting with an example you just know is going to show it at less than its best?

I keep thinking there's a subtext here, somewhere in the back of someone's mind is the little voice saying I know feature X is really powerful but boy, it's such a pain to actually use it in a powerful manner. I'll just wave my hands and present a simple example in a skimpy costume and hope everyone buys the the illusion. ;-)

Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: The Eclipse Graphical Modeling Framework Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Azul Releases Realtime Performance Monitor for Java

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use