The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Donald Knuth on Multi-Core, Unit Testing, Literate Programming, and XP

38 replies on 39 pages. Most recent reply: Jun 14, 2008 10:09 AM by John Zabroski

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 38 replies on 39 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 39  | » ]
Mark Thornton

Nickname: mthornton

Re: Donald Knuth on Multi-Core, Unit Testing, Literate Programming, and XP Posted: Apr 29, 2008 12:31 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> <p>So why should I be so happy about the future that
> hardware vendors promise?
Whether you are happy or not there is no alternative in sight if you want more power than they can provide in a single core.

>They think a magic bullet will
> come along to make multicores speed up my kind of work; I
> think it’s a pipe dream. (No—that’s the wrong metaphor!
> "Pipelines" actually work for me, but threads don’t.
Pipelines provide diminishing returns with greater pipeline depth. I don't expect to see any silver bullets that make harnessing multi-cores easy either. We can expect tools and techniques that make it a little less hard.

Flat View: This topic has 38 replies on 39 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 | » ]
Topic: David Pollak on Scala's Option Class Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Dojo 1.0 Released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use