The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
The Trouble with Checked Exceptions

45 replies on 4 pages. Most recent reply: May 6, 2013 12:03 PM by Gregg Wonderly

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 45 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 ]
Gregg Wonderly

Nickname: greggwon

Re: The Trouble with Checked Exceptions Posted: May 6, 2013 12:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
The basic idea of Checked Exceptions, is that there are some things, in software system, which happen because of outside stimuli. I/O subsystems, for example can cause exceptional problems when networks fail, disks crash and many other things in related ways. In the case of I/O, you have a "context" related to that I/O, which controls how you react to the problem. Checked Exceptions are a good thing to announce to the software systems, that something has occurred, which will keep the software from accomplishing the task it has initiated, and the software CAN take action which can correct the condition.

RuntimeExceptions in Java are about "system" or "software" errors, which will likely keep the software from working correctly. ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exceptions as well as the Error subclasses of Throwable, represent many common issues.

The fact that C# has no checked exceptions, for me, is a cop-out on the problem. It means that they didn't spend time to really talk to experienced developers creating large software systems that run in a server environment, to understand how important it is for some software systems to "never-fail".

Microsoft, historically, has lacked this expertise, and even today, some 10-years since this interview, the situation has not really changed. C# is still missing all kinds of important features for software stability and uptime, which Java continues to provide great benefits from having.

Flat View: This topic has 45 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4 ]
Topic: Refactoring with Martin Fowler Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How to Interview a Programmer

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use