The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Versioning, Virtual, and Override

31 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Nov 15, 2004 12:53 PM by Shital Shah

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 31 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 ]
Thomas Eyde

Nickname: teyde

Re: Versioning, Virtual, and Override Posted: Apr 14, 2004 5:34 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
And, yes, I agree with Darren. In my words: I think it's arrogant to imagine that I can predict every future use of my code.

The last days I have struggled with the User Interface Application Block. Every attempt to make it do what I want has been effectively been stopped by a sealed class, an internal class or a static method. And the object creation happens deep down below the sea level. It's impossible to inject a specialized class into that mess. Not all classes can be correctly created from config information alone.

Shital Shah

Nickname: sytelus

Re: Versioning, Virtual, and Override Posted: Nov 15, 2004 12:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Here's my take:

http://www.shitalshah.com/blog/default.aspx

One major issue that Anders mentioned was performance issue. I think its easy to mitigate the performance issue by making hot methods non-virtual explicitly. Also this is applicable to only public methods. Its far more difficult to analyse every side effect of overriding every method by someone someway. The problem is that people does want to let their methods overridable but they don't have time to analyse effects and make promise that overriding would work normally. So the solution is compiler warning rather then making it fianl-by-default.

Flat View: This topic has 31 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 ]
Topic: Which Language When? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python Forum

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use