The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Check Out Three Collections Libraries

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 5, 2002 8:15 AM by Henry J Cooper

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Check Out Three Collections Libraries Posted: Nov 4, 2002 12:08 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
JavaWorld has published an article by John Zukowski that looks at the evolution of the Java Collections Framework and alternatives, including new collections-related JSRs, Jakarta Commons Collections, and the Java Generic Library.

Read http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2002/jw-1101-collections.html

Here's an excerpt:

If you want to use abstract data types in your programs, the first thing you must learn is the core Collections Framework. Everything else is built upon it, including the proposed JSRs.

Once you learn the basic collections classes, you can branch out to other areas. While you can play with the generic-types support now, you must wait for its final form and the concurrency libraries in J2SE's next version. If you find the Jakarta Commons Collections helpful, by all means, use it. You can avoid creating a commonly used structure like a MultiMap. While a first-year Computer Science student can handle such a task, the fact that it is already created and debugged is beneficial. The Apache license shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Other than generics, I myself haven't ever wanted much more than I already have in java.util, such as ArrayList, HashMap, and HashSet. On the other hand, I did have to implement a Set and List with consistent serialized forms for the ServiceUI API. I'm curious what kind of situations have caused people to look beyond java.util for more collections. How often has that happened to you?

Henry J Cooper

Nickname: hjcooper

Re: Check Out Three Collections Libraries Posted: Nov 5, 2002 8:15 AM
Reply to this message Reply
I am anxiously awaiting generics being added to Java. If you have a need for very high performance collection classes check out http://trove4j.sourceforge.net/

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: XWT: XML Windowing Toolkit Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Should you go with JMS?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use