The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Sun vs Microsoft - What's the Point?

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 14, 2003 1:03 PM by Yvon Sauvageau

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Sun vs Microsoft - What's the Point? Posted: Feb 4, 2003 12:06 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Why is Sun putting so much effort into this legal fight to get Microsoft to distribute Sun's Java? Why not spend all that money and effort on compelling developers to create great Java software? If there are enough great desktop Java applications, people will simply download the JRE, just as they have to download any other app from the Web.

It looks like Microsoft won't be shipping Java on Windows, after all. Read this CNet News.com article, "Microsoft Wins Stay of Java Order," by Declan McCullagh:

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983175.html?tag=fd_top

Also, why doesn't Sun just follow AOL's example and send out CDs to computer users with the JRE, and some compelling apps on it? I bet they'd get more publicity for Java by doing that than by fighting in court.

It might also be cheaper: You can get a CD made for under $1, then you put it in an envelop for 34c -- the whole thing is under $1.50. If you pay an attorney $250/hr, for the cost of a single day of that attorney's work, they could ship Java to over 1,300 people. Wouldn't it be a better deal?

Any ideas?

Yvon Sauvageau

Nickname: ysauv

Re: Sun vs Microsoft - What's the Point? Posted: Feb 14, 2003 1:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply
People are not interested in installing software, they are interested in installing applications. The less they have to know about the plug-in, the better it is.

In my view, the value of your argument is proportional to the average bandwidth available to the public. The faster their connections will become, the more valid will your point be.

However, plug-in installment should also become seamless. Sun could probably improve that. Basically, when you are about to play a game on the web and you click OK for installation, you shouldn't even know that it runs over Java.

I suppose everything I said is fairly obvious. Easier said than done. ;-)

yvon

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Java Servers Feel the Open-Source Heat Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Microsoft Files .NET API Patent

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use