The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
How Vienna Escaped the Cubicle

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 11, 2003 1:41 PM by Bill Olding

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

How Vienna Escaped the Cubicle Posted: Jun 9, 2003 2:03 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Vienna Teng writes, "When I was working on writing a song the other day, I thought, when it gets down to the actual act of piecing lyrics and chord structures and songs together, it's really not that different from software design."

Read this Artima.com interview with singer/songwriter Vienna Teng:

http://www.artima.com/intv/escape.html

Vienna Teng, a 24 year old Java programmer at Cisco, landed a record contract, quit her day job to pursue her passion in music, and before long ended up on the Dave Letterman show.

How did she do it? In this first Artima.com interview with a former programmer, I ask Vienna Teng how she became interested in music, why she chose computer science over medicine, and how she not only chased after her dream but managed to catch it at such an early age. Along the way, she compares song writing with software design.

blue lang

Nickname: bluelang

Re: How Vienna Escaped the Cubicle Posted: Jun 10, 2003 5:44 PM
that's great and all, but her music is very dissapointing.

Bill Olding

Nickname: wolding

Re: How Vienna Escaped the Cubicle Posted: Jun 11, 2003 1:41 PM
Thanks to Bill Venners for a really good interview. I found out about Vienna when she played at a music listening room near my home and work in Cary NC. Immediately I was hooked. By her talent on piano, by the quality of her voice, and by her songwriting. I enjoy learning all I can about my new favorite artist! I hope your articles help get the word out about her growing career.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Programming Defensively Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What would you ask the JCP panel?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use