The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Answers Forum
Virtual Machine Launcher

79 replies on 6 pages. Most recent reply: Dec 25, 2010 2:50 PM by teresa cox

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 79 replies on 6 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | » ]
Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 9, 2004 2:13 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Hi Sharon,

> Some goofy horoscope things were in there, don't know how
> or why they got there...

I wonder if that stuff was pre-installed on the Dell machine, or had you downloaded and installed any (possibly unrelated) software? Or have you double-clicked any email attachments? You said that it appeared 9 days after you got the machine, not since the beginning, so I imagine you (or do other people use the computer?) must have installed something. Another source could be if you went to some web page that asked you to install an ActiveX control.

I'm just curious how the stuff got installed in the first place.

Ad-Aware is pretty handy with showing you what's there and which shady company is the perpetrator (in most cases), but it can't really know how it got there. They could maintain a list of common ways for each known perp, which would be nice.

Sharon

Nickname: shar

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 9, 2004 4:10 PM
Matt,
Now that you mention it, I do keep getting some ActiveX window popping up constantly. Any clue how to get rid of that thing? It's driving me nuts.
I'm not the only one using the computer - my husband and 3yr old daughter as well. He says I must have done something, I swear it was him. LOL
Thanks for the help. :)
Sharon

James

Nickname: jamest

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 9, 2004 9:22 PM
I have XP Home, and have been getting the same "Java Virtual blah blah..." message. I have always had ad-aware and it doesn't fix the problem....any suggestions?

thx,
j

James

Nickname: jamest

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 9, 2004 9:47 PM
Nevermind...I fixed it

Thanks for everyone's help

j

Matt Gerrans

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 9, 2004 11:44 PM
> Nevermind...I fixed it

Good thing. I was was going to recommend that you purchace the book Inside the Java Virtual Blah Blah by Bill Venners.

pascal

Nickname: trust

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 10, 2004 9:33 AM
I had the same problem:

JVML could not find the main class etc.

But I quess I solved the problem...
I went to Kazaa and searched for Java Virtual Machine (at software). Downloaded Java Virtual Machine 13102.exe.
I quess it's a new version of Java Web Start (whatever that may be). However... I installed the program and after installing it asked me to reboot. Well I did and the F...... pop-up was history.

Maybe this will do the same for you because i'd tried anything else but nothing seems to be working.
My problem is solved anyway.

P.S sorry for my english writing skills... I'm Dutch.

Good luck!!

Matt Gerrans

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 10, 2004 11:16 AM
Hmm... Sounds like you may have just upgraded your spyware/zombie/trojan to a version that fixes the bug it had. I think I'd download the JVM (and WebStart) directly from Sun instead.

I hope you are also running a virus scanner and Ad-Aware (or the like).

Tina

Nickname: weasellady

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 13, 2004 8:12 AM
I have been bugged for weeks with the virtual machine main class thing and tried to find a solution without much success until I came across this site while searching the internet for answers.
Thank you Matti.
I have been running Spybot and on yur advice downloaded Adware from Downloads.com and afterone scan I have just been able to reboot my computer without the annoying pop up.
My computer is running so much faster now but I took the precaution of quarentining all the items that it found in case i deleted anything that i shouldn't.
Thank you again. That's just brilliant

Janis Kordish

Nickname: janna123

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 18, 2004 11:08 AM
Sharon,

Did you ever find an answer to your problem regarding the Java Virtual Machine Launcher main class cannot be found and the program will exit?

Erick

Nickname: enredma

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 19, 2004 6:04 PM
Ok great we all have the same problem but no one here actually gives an answer. So if any one has an answer instead of a question or can tell me how to get where the solution is that would be great.

Thanks Erick.

Matt Gerrans

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 19, 2004 7:01 PM
So, are you saying that you tried Ad-Aware and it didn't solve your problem? Or are you saying you were not playing attention to the rest of this thread?

Sharon

Nickname: shar

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Sep 21, 2004 12:31 AM
Erick and Janis:
There's a first page to this thread. I received great information and my problem was definitely solved!

From previous page: Matthias replied:
Right click on "My Computer" and "Manage System"
Choose "Services and Applications\Services".
Look for a Service which type is Auto; but which is not launched. Try to launch it.
If it produces the error you see every time, this is the program you're looking for.

This are 2 regsitry keys, where you could find the program.
hkey_local_machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run
hkey_current_user\So ftware\Microsoft\Windows\Run

If you have dll errors, normally your java installation is messed up, maybe the java dll's are not in the system dll path.

Try to reinstall the newest java version (1.4.2_04b5 I think, not the 1.5 beta).

(That approach didn't work for me, but was worth a shot).

"If all this didn't help, it probably is a spyware.
Try to download the tool ad-aware (from lavasoft), this should remove almost every spyware."

That's what saved my butt (and my computer!) :)
Go to lavasoft.com and follow the steps to download ad-ware and let it do it's thing... worked for me.

Thanks again guys!! Woohoo!!
shar

Glen M Wilson

Nickname: bigwilsy

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Oct 14, 2004 12:59 PM
> Hi,
I am also very pleased with Matthias for offering his input on 'cannot find main class', unfortunately, it has left a different pop-up filer coming up after startup -
Message from, 'ATProcess Watch, run-time error '429' active X component can't create object' ??
I've ran AD-Aware twice now, but it is still coming up.

Matthias Neumair

Nickname: neumi

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Oct 16, 2004 1:32 AM
In this case, I have no clue what to do.
I don't do anything with ActiveX.

But "ATProcess Watch" rings a bell.

I'll look into it.

Charles Bell

Nickname: charles

Re: Virtual Machine Launcher Posted: Oct 16, 2004 11:50 AM
I use SpyBot to "Search and Destroy" things like that.
Sometimes, clicking the "Delete Files" button under Internet Options on Internet Explorer solves weird problems.

Flat View: This topic has 79 replies on 6 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4  5  6 | » ]
Topic: Importance of implementing hashcode() method for Java classes that are used Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Need help with writing a code for following problem

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use