The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Punchy Design

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Aug 23, 2005 7:38 PM by Joe Merlino

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
John D. Mitchell

Nickname: johnm

Punchy Design (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Apr 23, 2005 9:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
How important is the role that good design plays in communicating what matters?
Advertisement

Greg Storey has done a quick and clean redesign of the infamous August 6, 2001 Presidential Daily Briefing (PDB) document. The original PDB is nearly worthless in communicating what matters. The redesigned PDB gives context and clear cues about what matters.

How does the software that we create measure up? Yeah, it's almost a truism that most software have pour human user interfaces. But, what about things like the application programming interfaces for the developers? Flat, complicated APIs abound. What can we do in the programming languages to make this better?

Joe Merlino

Nickname: ooforever

Re: Punchy Design Posted: Aug 23, 2005 7:38 PM
Reply to this message Reply
I think design is everything. As a musician turned programmer I'm more aware of the importance of developing an intuitive sense in order to recognize a good design as well as extend it. This is what I think is one of the real problems of software development in the business world. Software development is an art as well as a science. Development should be the most beautiful response to a request for function. The designs in nature are beautiful and become more so as their complexities are uncovered. The Roman aqueducts or the Golden Gate Bridge follow this pattern. Most of the code I've worked with has been predominately ugly. The ugliest code always had the most problems because its lack of coherent design made it unmaintainable. When I've had a chance to design code I made sure it was beautiful and the success of the code in delivery the functionality was always in relation to how it grew while being faithful to its core beauty.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Dependency Injection and Jini Configurations Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Harry Potter Theory of Programming Language Design

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use