The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Aren't C++ Programmers People Too?

18 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Nov 13, 2007 12:14 PM by Axel Plinge

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 18 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Stephen Hutton

Nickname: shutton

Re: Aren't C++ Programmers People Too? Posted: Aug 30, 2003 6:07 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> What's special about visualage C++?
>
> You might want to take a look at this open source
> project:
>
> http://ovid.tigris.org/Ephedra/

Ok, it says that visualage has an API to the compiler.
I think I'd prefer to use gccxml for the same purpose.

The original poster's question about the lack of refactoring
tools is an interesting one. I suspect the answer is combination
of market conditions (relative lack of investment in C++ tools
by the large vendors, compared to Java tools), and the extra
technical challenge posed by parsing C++.

I'm not sure there are enough practicing C++ programmers
reading Artima (yet?) to do this question justice, however.
Might be interesting to see what the folks at comp.lang.c++.moderated
would say.

Michael Joyce

Nickname: mgj2

Re: Aren't C++ Programmers People Too? Posted: Sep 10, 2003 5:37 PM
I think the main reason refactoring for C++ hasn't taken off is money. Development companies seem to continue with policies that promote false economy.

The companies I have worked for seem to be reluctant to buy a $500 tool like a decent IDE (IntelliJ IDEA). They would rather developers struggled and were far less efficient than spent money on anything other than wages. Surely spending $5000 on tools for 10 developers is more economical than hiring another developer.

An added advantage to the increase in productivity, is the increase in job satisfaction, and hence retention of staff.

All you hear about these days are Java and .Net projects, which implies that Money and Resources are being spent on these technologies. I would have thought that this would mean C++ developers have to wait even longer for tools even if they exists.

Julias Shaw

Nickname: jrshaw

Re: Aren't C++ Programmers People Too? Posted: Sep 16, 2003 10:53 AM
As bad as it may seem in the C++ world, try spending a little time in a COBOL shop. This is where I think the most critical tool deficiencies exist. There isn't even a COBOLUnit, much less a refactoring tool. Don't even get me started on their build and SCM tools.

Axel Plinge

Nickname: plinge

Re: Aren't C++ Programmers People Too? Posted: Nov 13, 2007 12:14 PM
Very true. Once I had come to know Refactoring in Java and C#, I was ready to move heaven and earth in oder to get it in C++. While it is true that "real" refactoring for C++ is a lot of work since the language is not designed compiler friendly like java, there are some solutions on the market. However, it seems that no one knows about them. So sadly, Ideat Solutions, a Canadian company that brought Refactoring in my Visual Studio and thereby into 6-year old projects, seems to have vanished. I even had to use archive.org to find the latest installation..

Flat View: This topic has 18 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Aren't C++ Programmers People Too? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Why Diarize Song

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use