The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition?

43 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Feb 17, 2006 7:12 AM by Nishant Saini

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 43 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 ]
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Oct 21, 2005 11:46 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
I don't control translations, but I believe there has been a Russian translation in the past.

Translations are projects that are motivated by the publisher in the foreign country. They typically just buy the translation rights, and from then on it's their own project, as if they were publishing the book from scratch (although they also usually get the cover art to work from). Basically, the foreign publisher takes the risk.

D. MARTIN (delirii)

Nickname: delirii

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Oct 25, 2005 8:05 AM
Bruce,

Have you got an new schedule about the release of TIJ 4th ed. ?

Thanks

Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Oct 25, 2005 8:49 AM
I'm working on the final chapter, and hope to have it done within the next few weeks. Since I produce camera-ready copy, the turnaround after that has been quite short in the past, so I would expect you could get a copy within the next couple of months.

gibbous _

Nickname: gibbous

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Oct 25, 2005 2:49 PM
heh :) actually in russia all man take the risk :) without it in this country have nothing to deal with :) i'll be waiting for translated book. i hope that i could get it soon... and what about J2EE? is there exist something like "Thinking in..."?

ibrahim ALShehri

Nickname: ibh3000

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Oct 25, 2005 4:07 PM
thank u Bruce Eckel

for all what u doing about java

i am really waiting for ur book

sine i am thinking to take the SCJP 5.0

and the only source that i see usefull is ur book

i hope in the coming next week i can download the fourth version "Thinking in JAVA "

ibrahim ALShehri

Nickname: ibh3000

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Oct 25, 2005 4:13 PM

Javier Suarez

Nickname: javierr

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Nov 3, 2005 8:17 AM
Bruce, I'm argentine system programmer. One question, Will the book be sell in Argentina? Because I coudn't buy the another editions, it was very difficult to find it.
Please, give me a good new!
Thank u!!!

David Roth

Nickname: krelian

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Nov 18, 2005 7:46 AM
I just saw that the 4th edition is listed on Amazon with a release date of march 2006. What does this mean for the online version? Keep up with the outstanding work!

D. MARTIN (delirii)

Nickname: delirii

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Dec 2, 2005 1:53 AM
Will it be our Christmas gift, Bruce ? ;-)

Ayman Saleem

Nickname: ayman

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Dec 11, 2005 2:21 PM
Dear Bruce,

I’d like to thank you very much for your wonderful efforts in bringing Java to life and introducing its features within such great and modular book.
I used the first and the second editions as main guides in training and coaching the new Java software engineers in my development teams.
Now, we are using the 3rd edition to provide a new team of developers with the best reference for mastering Java and I’m waiting for the 4th edition to surprise them with the fabulist gift of the New Year.

Thanks allot for that indirect help of your behind-the-scenes support!

Ayman Saleem

Nickname: ayman

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Dec 11, 2005 2:35 PM
BTW, in order to avoid finding myself a real fabulist -god forbid:-), I’d like to ask you about the announced publishing date on Amazon (February 17th, 2006)… Is that an accurate estimation?

Thanks and best regards.

dcloninger

Nickname: dcloninger

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Jan 27, 2006 12:27 PM
Hey Bruce... I was just wondering if you had any updates on the book release. Also, is there a contractual reason why you do not go ahead and post the forthcoming 4th edition of the book in its currrent form? If not, I think it would be great if you could do this since the chapters that are not complete are well into the book. THANKS!

Xiaoguang Ning

Nickname: frankman

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Feb 4, 2006 9:46 AM
Hi Bruce,

Your Java Book makes learning enjoyable and I am looking forward to reading your 4th Ed as well for updating my knowledge.

I do have a question: Are we going to get free solution manual of the 4TH ed (when available) if we bought the one for the 3rd edition?

Thanks and have a great year.

Nishant Saini

Nickname: nishu

Re: Where is Thinking in Java, 4th Edition? Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:12 AM
Hi Bruce,

I have read the Preview copy from your site of TIJ-4 It does include only first seven chapters (Introduction, Introduction to Objects, Everything is an Object, Operators, Controlling Execution, Initialization and Cleanup and AccessControl). There was nothing new in these chapters except Enhanced For Loop (I have not compared it with the third edition entirely and perhaps it includes some changes in previously present topics, but I am speaking of only new topics included).

The chapter on Annotations and generics is not included in the sample chapters. I am eagerly waiting for it. There is very little talked about Annotations and they are often critisized by people by saying "Framework junkies will pick annotation as a replacement of all kinds of metadata And the annotations make code ugly" There is really little said about inheritance in annotations and what about If we have two annotations with same name but in different packages? And In generics, please also include information about inner classes' behavior regarding the generic Type.
For example the first code snippet written below does not compile while second code snippet compiles.

/** Code Listing - 1 */

class MyClass<T> {

public void print(T obj) {
System.out.println(obj);
}

class Inner<T> {
MyClass.this.print(obj);
}
}

}

/** Code Listing - 2 */

class MyClass<T> {

System.out.println(obj);
}

class Inner<t extends T> {
public void print(t obj) {
MyClass.this.print(obj);
}
}

}

I do understand the difference but find it difficult to explain myself.

Would you explain it in your chapter on Generics?

Flat View: This topic has 43 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 ]
Topic: Unimperative Reborn as a Concatenative Language Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Can You Write Quality Software Quickly?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use