The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
A Set of Unit Testing Rules

50 replies on 51 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 21, 2011 2:19 AM by Steve Merrick

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 | » ]
John Doe

Nickname: mrpantsuit

Re: A Set of Unit Testing Rules Posted: Oct 30, 2006 9:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
I beleive concurrency unit testing deserves a special mention here. I have written concurrency unit tests (CUTs) that are "pure" according to your rules, but still require a non-trivial running time.

The unfortunate nature of CUTs is that they are non-deterministic, i.e., one iteration does not prove that the code is correct, as it does for a regular unit test. Uncovering concurrency bugs requires hitting the code with multiple threads for a sufficient length of time. (Even then, correctness can only be stated in terms of probability, e.g., I have hit this code with 100 threads for an hour, so it is highly probable that there are no concurrency bugs.)

Some might argue that CUTs are load tests, but I beleive that the purpose of a unit test is to verify the correctness of a unit of code, and a unit of concurrent code cannot be verified without CUTs.

Perhaps a fast/slow categorization of tests is more useful than a pure/impure one for the purposes of deciding run frequency. Although pure tests are typically fast and impure can often be slow, the inverse is not uncommon.

Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 46  47  48  49  50  51 | » ]
Topic: Computer About to Play Jeopardy Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Search for Requirements

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use