The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
A Set of Unit Testing Rules

50 replies on 51 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 21, 2011 2:19 AM by Steve Merrick

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 51  | » ]
Michael Feathers

Nickname: mfeathers

Re: A Set of Unit Testing Rules Posted: Sep 9, 2005 6:41 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> Sometimes, your unit test must do some of these things:
> 1. You test a class who's function is to interact with a
> db, write/read a file, or write/read the Windows
> Registry.

I'm pig headed, I write them but I don't call them UTs when I'm with a team. Say that we are working test first and we discover we need to save things in the registry. To me it's best to think about what we need more abstractly, we just need a place to store things and chances are it doesn't need to be hierarchical in the beginning. So we can develop that abstraction (which probably looks as simple as a map) and it's guaranteed to be easier to use than the Windows registry.

If we go that route, we make an implementation of that abstraction that works in memory for testing and one that translates its calls to the Windows registry calls.

> 2. You develop a client; to make sure it works, it
> must interact with a server. At my work, for
> example, our client must exchange timestamped, signed, XML
> messages with a server. The test will not be complete
> without server interaction. Actually, you simply
> cannot test this without a server.
>
> You want to say these are not unit tests? I'll argue that
> the tests can't be any simpler.

I agree that they are necessary, but I really like to see what can be done to strip logic away from I/O for the UTs. Other tests can handle the collaboration and the tests that actually touch the database or the the server, they have tests too, but there are in some netherworld in my view. In general, I don't think there should be many of them.

Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 | » ]
Topic: Computer About to Play Jeopardy Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Search for Requirements

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use