The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Postscript and Acrobat

20 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 3, 2008 7:12 PM by William Baxter

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 20 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Harrison Ainsworth

Nickname: hxa7241

postscript viewing on windows Posted: Sep 27, 2005 5:21 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
for postscript viewing on windows, i like the app from http://www.rops.org/ -- very small, fast, easy.

Ben Atkin

Nickname: benatkin

Re: postscript viewing on windows Posted: Oct 3, 2005 3:18 PM
I think starting up fast should be a top priority in almost any piece of software.

If OpenOffice, Firefox, and Thunderbird all started up instantaneously, my life would be a lot easier.

It seems some are just willing to put in the extra effort to make programs start fast. Like Nintendo and its GameCube games for example.

Bo Zhu

Nickname: ffkiller

Re: Postscript and Acrobat Posted: Oct 20, 2005 11:14 PM
I don't know whether I'm just lucky, but i've never failed to convert ps files to pdf counterparts with Adobe Distiller bundled with Adobe Acrobat installation. In fact on Windows .ps extention is associated with Adobe Distiller and if you double click on any .ps file Adobe Distiller will come up and ask for permission to convert.

Nenad Nikolic

Nickname: shonzilla

Re: Postscript and Acrobat Posted: Nov 6, 2005 7:13 AM
Here's a tip how to nearly eliminate Acrobat Reader's start-up time.

Just when you start Acrobat Reader press and hold Shift key. Splash screen will not show up at all and libraries will not be loaded in advance, at start-up. Guess they will remain to be loaded when needed.

This works unders Windows, not sure about the other OSes.

Cheers,
Shonzilla

Filip Brcic

Nickname: brcha

Re: Postscript and Acrobat Posted: Mar 29, 2007 11:29 AM
> the pain of using Acrobat. So if someone can write a tool
> that, from the outside without the source code, can
> manipulate Acrobat and speed it up, why wouldn't Adobe
> improve their own product to be faster? It's no wonder I'm
> concerned about what will happen to Flash.

Well, for some reason they can't manage to recompile Flash for 64bit machines. I am using GNU/Linux on AMD64 an to view the Flash animations I have to start the 32bit version of Firefox. I can't understand how hard could it be to recompile the Flash for 64bit GNU/Linux and Windows.

William Baxter

Nickname: baxissimo

Re: Postscript and Acrobat Posted: Jan 3, 2008 7:12 PM
This was reinforced when a friend blithely agreed to the popup that suggested she upgrade to the latest Acrobat. Acrobat has always been pretty reliable, why not? But when she did, Acrobat stopped working. When we looked at the latest upgrades, each point release seemed to be a bug-fix for the previous point release, and if you wanted to install the latest version, you had to start with the basic installation and then install all the point releases one-by-one. Looks like Adobe has wandered into the land of bad software. Don't agree to upgrade unless you're in the mood to be an explorer in that land.

Wow. I was just searching the net for some information on getting ps2pdf to work in Cygwin and stubmled upon this page.

I have this same problem with upgrading Acrobat 7 Pro on my computer. I recently found out my wife is unable to install updates successfully on her install too. When I fire up Acrobat it tells me there are 4 updates waiting. Each one takes an eternity to download and install, and each one requires you to reboot your machine after installing! And then when you get to the last one for some reason it just fails and next time you start it up it's back to telling you that you have 4 updates to install. Insane. And now I find this topic and discover that net-based upgrades have been an issue with Acrobat since mid-2005! Unbelievable.

Flat View: This topic has 20 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Postscript and Acrobat Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python 3.0 alpha 2 Released!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use