The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Designing a Language for Library Developers

47 replies on 4 pages. Most recent reply: Oct 17, 2005 1:28 PM by Max Lybbert

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 47 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 ]
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Re: Designing a Language for Library Developers Posted: Oct 16, 2005 2:34 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> is there another way to verify contracts?
> Is formal proof a practical alternative?

Only on occasion. In many cases contracts can either not be formally proven (e.g. otherwise you could solve the halting problem), or it is simply too hard. More on formal limits of contracts can be found here at Artima http://www.artima.com/intv/contracts3.html

> BTW: I was wondering why you want to include type
> inference in Heron.

I'm not planning on supporting type-inference in Heron (at least not in the ML sense).

Gregor Zeitlinger

Nickname: gregor

Re: Designing a Language for Library Developers Posted: Oct 17, 2005 11:43 AM
> I'm not planning on supporting type-inference in Heron (at
> least not in the ML sense).
Thanks for clearing that up. While I'm at it: I was wondering why you do not want to use GC for Heron (I hope I'm right on that one).
1) Because the point of garbadge collection is indeterministic (at least in current implementations)
2) Because of a possible performance penalty.
I'm explicitly saying "possible" because a GC may actually be a performance benefit in some cases. Do you have evidence that shows the impact of GC - possibly even specifically for libraries?

Max Lybbert

Nickname: mlybbert

Re: Garbage Collection Posted: Oct 17, 2005 1:28 PM
/*I was wondering why you do not want to use GC for Heron (I hope I'm right on that one).
*/

I'll hop in on this, because this was a recent topic.

First, as I understand it, Heron won't *prohibit* garbage collection. Just like C++ permits GC implementations, it will be possible for somebody to implement Heron with GC.

But the reference implementation won't come with GC. Instead, Heron will come with various pointer classes that offer different memory management behavior. These pointers will be useful for resources other than memory as well. Most garbage collection doesn't give you that option.

Flat View: This topic has 47 replies on 4 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4 ]
Topic: Implicit Casting, Good or Evil? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: All Your Eyes Are Belong To Us

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use