The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
The Trouble with Searching for Open-Source Code

16 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Oct 28, 2005 3:14 PM by Max Lybbert

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Max Lybbert

Nickname: mlybbert

Re: feature models ? Posted: Oct 28, 2005 3:09 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Boost is a collection of C++ libraries. The maintainers receive a ton of suggested improvements. They have a few possible options:

(1) Require every suggestion be fully written in C++ (this isn't truly acceptable because many of the suggestions are "could you please write this in C++?");

(2) Ask for suggestions written in very clear, precise, technical English (yeah right);

(3) Write suggestions in some kind of pseudocode or domain-specific lanuguage.

I understand the feature model to be a domain-specific lanugaauge designed by honest programmers to describe things at a high enough level to be understandable, but at a low enough level to be useful.

Yes, UML would be a potential possibility. But a text-based system makes search a little easier. Of course, there are ways (I've heard) to translate UML into text, but that's another issue.

Max Lybbert

Nickname: mlybbert

My point about feature models Posted: Oct 28, 2005 3:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply
My point, BTW, is that I, as a searcher, can say "I'd like a feature (that may be a function, functor, mixin, class, component, etc.) that is guaranteed to x, y, z, and may q, r, s." The database can then be searched to see if anything matches the signature.

Yes, it can be difficult to come up with a common vocabulary (one of the big problems with patent searches). Perhaps it would be possible to permit me to make up my own vocabulary so long as I define any made up words ("a snarfblat is any feature that has the following elements").

Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Encapsulation Violation Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Musing about Closures

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use