The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Audio Interview

8 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 6, 2006 10:45 AM by Paul Reiners

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Audio Interview (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jan 6, 2006 9:05 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Mike Levin has posted a new podcast interview with me, recorded 1/4/06.
Advertisement
You can find details and download the MP3 here.

Includes discussions of Thinking in Java 4e, Java and C#, programming issues and more.

This time he set the Skype recorder to "mono" so the results are better.

Robert Dzikowski

Nickname: rdzikowski

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Jan 7, 2006 5:06 PM
I always find your interviews and blogs very interesting, but you do them so rarely. Maybe you should start doing a podcast, if you don't have enough time for blogging ;)

Bruce Eckel

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Jan 8, 2006 10:49 AM
I agree, I enjoy doing these and it would be nice to do something more frequently. So far they've just been an experiement, but I've found that the conversation/interview process works pretty well. I guess I'll have to see what would happen if I just tried recording a spontaneous monologue (well, the sound quality would be better, for one thing...).

Bruce Eckel

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Jan 8, 2006 10:52 AM
And as far as blogging goes, there seem to be two kinds: ideas that come up in the course of things, which are more likely to be published quickly (but also have more of a shoot-from-the-hip quality to them) and "essays" which require more gestation and research. I actually have a bunch of partially-written essays that I hope to be able to finish on a more regular basis now that Thinking in Java 4e is heading to the printer.

mGoral

Nickname: mgoral

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Jan 8, 2006 1:55 PM
The best idea out of the eXtreme methodology is the live dialog of two adjoining minds to support the work.

Therefore I think the interview format with your "familiar swampy questioner" works well because your "live thinking" answering takes freedom (and time) to explore things while trying to become cohesive in the end.

It works quite well - I appreciate these audios.

Howard Lovatt

Nickname: hlovatt

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Jan 8, 2006 5:52 PM
In your talk you mentioned that you thought Sun would not change the language much more but according to:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/17/HNdolphin_1.html

Sun are considering adding native XML syntax to Java. Which would be a significant change. I belive one of the proposed syntaxes is:
#book {
   #author { Bruce Eckel }
   #title { Thinking in Java }
   #edition { #[ n ] } // the notation #[ n ] means substitute the value in variable n
}

and that this would be like a string literal, but the compiler could check against the XML schema that it was correctly formed. The above example translates to the XML equivalent (substituting for n):

<book>
<author> Bruce Eckel </author>
<title> Thinking in Java </title>
<edition> 5 </edition>
</book>

A similar facility is in Scala, but the syntax is different.

Bruce Eckel

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Jan 9, 2006 11:54 AM
Yes, I was not so clear as I could have been about that, because I was thinking about the book. I should probably have said something like "not changed it so much that it would require a rewrite," because that's how I was thinking.

It's not surprising that they're considering adding some kind of XML support syntax, because that's what C# is doing (or has done, I haven't been paying attention). So I suppose we could say that Java may continue to add features to try to keep up with C#. Of course, this could mean that they might back off on the longstanding "operator overloading is bad" mantra (although I'll believe that when I see it), in which case I would have to rewrite the book.

Otherwise, I'm thinking that supplements might do the trick for future versions of Java.

I think I heard that C#3.0 is adding some kind of direct database support, so we might see that in Java as well. This would be interesting because it might slow the stampede to rails-like frameworks, but it might also impact EJB3 in a negative fashion -- if we're mostly doing databases, and it's easy to do in the language, we have less of a need for an external framework.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Isaac Gouy

Nickname: igouy

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Jan 11, 2006 11:27 AM
I think I heard that C#3.0 is adding some kind of direct database support

The LINQ Project
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/future/linq/

A compiler preview is available for download, along with supporting material
http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/7/0/4703eba2-78c4-4b09-8912-69f6c38d3a56/LINQ%20Preview.msi

And see the old 'Language Design' papers on Eric Meijer's homepage
http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/

Paul Reiners

Nickname: reiners

Re: Audio Interview Posted: Feb 6, 2006 10:45 AM
The psychological syndrome you mentioned in the interview is called Asperger's Syndrome. Actually, it's a minor form of autism, not ADD.

Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Topic: Mutable Types Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A-Posteriori Subtyping and Case Classes

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use