The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Beta of Thinking in C

16 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Mar 28, 2006 11:26 AM by Bruce Eckel

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ 1 2 | » ]
Bruce Eckel

Nickname: beckel

Beta of Thinking in C (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 11:26 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
(Closed) See Beta3.
Advertisement

The entry for Beta 3 is here.

deleted

Nickname: craigm

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, there's no Linux version of Flash 8 (we're still stuck with Flash 7), so it looks like the cross-platform option for Thinking in C is not there yet.

Bruce Eckel

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 12:30 PM
And I didn't know that. Good thing I called it a beta.

I'm not sure what the schedule is for the release of Flash 8.5, but I thought it was supposed to happen in the next few months. It would seem like a Linux beta version would have to appear before that.

deleted

Nickname: craigm

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 1:08 PM
I'm a little puzzled why the requirement for such a high version of Flash. When I tried to run it on my Linux machine, it complained that it couldn't do an Express Install. I'm curious why it's trying to install additional content on my system.

Harry Fuecks

Nickname: hfuecks

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 3:04 PM
StoreAndServe is horrible. It looks like some kind of warez site and the whole business with paying for better download speed smells bad.

Why not use something like Sourceforge? As your publishing with Creative commons, should be no problem.

Sasa Ebach

Nickname: sv

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 3:17 PM
The Videos don't work for me. After installing 8.5 I just get the background, but the movies don't load. Not in Mozilla 1.7.12, Firefox 1.5 nor IE 6.

I wonder why you didn't use one of those established Screencasters like Macromedia Captivate or Camtasia Studio. The create Flash content that does not need such a high version. They can also export into all kinds of other formats like mpeg4 avis or wmvs.

Also, MM is known for delaying the Flash for Linux version for ages (like a year or two). There has never been a BSD/Unix version either. So the safest is probably to go with a format that is universally accessibly like mpeg4.

Hope to be able to do the lectures soon.

Bruce Eckel

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 3:35 PM
> The Videos don't work for me. After installing 8.5 I just
> get the background, but the movies don't load. Not in
> Mozilla 1.7.12, Firefox 1.5 nor IE 6.

Thanks for the report.

> I wonder why you didn't use one of those established
> Screencasters like Macromedia Captivate or Camtasia
> Studio. The create Flash content that does not need such a
> high version. They can also export into all kinds of other
> formats like mpeg4 avis or wmvs.

Because those require hand-work, and this system builds everything automatically. The quantity of material makes hand work prohibitive.

> Also, MM is known for delaying the Flash for Linux version
> for ages (like a year or two). There has never been a
> BSD/Unix version either. So the safest is probably to go
> with a format that is universally accessibly like mpeg4.

This is about 8.5 hours long. An MPEG4 would be prohibitively large.

I've asked my contact at Macromedia about the Linux version.

> Hope to be able to do the lectures soon.

If I can figure out how to reproduce your bug, that will speed things up.

Bruce Eckel

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 3:39 PM
> Why not use something like Sourceforge? As your publishing
> with Creative commons, should be no problem.

I tried asking them about it; I'm using a limited form of creative commons so it's not really an open source project. Anyway, I never got a response so I took the safer route. Also tried OurMedia with terrible results.

> StoreAndServe is horrible. It looks like some kind of
> warez site and the whole business with paying for better
> download speed smells bad.

I've contacted them and they said that in a couple of weeks premium members will be able to provide direct links for downloading (and the speed will be higher) so you won't see this behavior for the actual release.

Bruce Eckel

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 28, 2006 3:40 PM
> I'm a little puzzled why the requirement for such a high
> version of Flash. When I tried to run it on my Linux
> machine, it complained that it couldn't do an Express
> Install. I'm curious why it's trying to install additional
> content on my system.

I developed the content-delivery system using Flex 2, which requires the added abilities of Flash 8.5. I've asked Macromedia about the version of 8.5 for Linux.

Andrea Govoni

Nickname: xfox

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:14 AM
I'm on Mac OS X Server 10.4.5.
I installed Flash Player 8.5 and tried to view your eSeminar with all the latest Macintosh browsers (iCab, SeaMonkey, Camino, FireFox, Safari, Shiira, Opera and OmniWeb). With all of them, when I click on Start Lecture I get only the background, just like Sasa Ebach already reported.

Gueven Bay

Nickname: gba

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 30, 2006 6:44 AM
Hi,

I tried your TiC on a Windows XP Home with SP2 (a very fresh and standard installation without tweaking of any side of the system). The installer of Flash8.5 couldn't detect the plugin directory of IE. I installed it then on the proposed location. Then on the macromedia site was a second packet : an ActiveX controller. This was also installed by me.

Then I started your courseware. I saw only the blue background, no presentation no sound.
I thought, hmm, it could be that this fresh installation has some (included) tweakings of the security settings. I went on to make all security settings to the lowest level.
I started your courseware and I saw nothing, only blue background, no graphics, no sound.

As some other people here on this thread I question your decision to bet on media software (flash8.5) that is not even released. Okay, make your "recordings" and all other creation steps on flash8.5, but, please, then port it to another format. On my __Debian__ system I could even watch __wmv movies__, but it is not 100% guaranteed that flash8.5 will be available.

regards

Harry Fuecks

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:20 PM
OK - finally got the download after a number of aborted attempts and had similar problems with Flash 8.5 - the individual "slide".swf files work but the main "Lecture.swf" files don't - wonder if the player bundled with the Flex 2.0 download is different to the standalone version?

That said, what about a radically different approach - this seems to be crying out for your attention: "Bruce the presentation tool" - http://bruce.python-hosting.com/

It's written in Pygame. Pygame seems to be able to play mp3's. Throw in bittorrent support, re-using code from one of the existing Python bittorrent clients (side note there - believe you can embed pygame in wxpython apps), build with py2exe and might be a much better solution.

Bruce Eckel

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 30, 2006 4:18 PM
It appears that the beta of Flash 8.5 is beta 2, and I've built this with Flex 2 beta 1, and that causes a problem.

I am currently looking at porting it back to Flex 1.5, which works on the earlier version of Flash, so that would work with Linux, as well (it looks like the Linux version of Flash 8.5 is not on the radar yet, and this is precisely the kind of problem that I'm trying to avoid by using Flash).

Although I've been fascinated with the idea of Pygame ever since I've seen demos at Python conferences, I know that installing that would cause problems for way too many programming novices.

Besides, it looks like porting it back to Flex 1.5 will not be a big deal (I'm probably getting some help), so that would put me quite close to an ideal solution.

Harry Fuecks

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 31, 2006 5:37 AM
"Although I've been fascinated with the idea of Pygame ever since I've seen demos at Python conferences, I know that installing that would cause problems for way too many programming novices."

At least for the Windows users py2exe + some installer like Innosetup or Nullsoft installer would remove that problem. For Mac users py2app fulfill the same role as py2exe (never tried it).

That said this is probably a lot of work compared to using Flash.

Cleo Saulnier

Nickname: vorlath

Re: Beta of Thinking in C Posted: Mar 31, 2006 4:01 PM
The beta download asks you for all this personal info. No good for me.

Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ 1  2 | » ]
Topic: What's Wrong with Weblogs? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: RESTful and User-Friendly URLs

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use