The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
MSIL (aka CIL) Pitfalls for Language Designers

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jun 26, 2006 9:39 AM by Jules Jacobs

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

MSIL (aka CIL) Pitfalls for Language Designers (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jun 23, 2006 8:26 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
While working on the Cat to MSIL compiler I ran into some very annoying security features.
Advertisement
The MSIL has some security features to try and prevent bad code from being executed. This has two problems: 1) it prevents language implementors from doing interesting things, 2) it can be circumvented. This reminds me of runnning up against a lot of the C++ features designed to prevent abuse.

The specific feature I am bellyaching about is the fact that a specific function can't manipulate the stack below its stack-frame, and can't manipulate the stack beyond its max-stack size. Furthermore a function can't create a non-deterministic (at compile-time) stack configuration with regards to the number and type of elements on the stack.

What this just means is that to translate from Cat to MSIL I have to emulate a more flexible stack. To try and leverage the efficiency of performing the MSIL byte-code operations, I am introducing a notion of a separate evaluation stack. In the old Cat model, everything occured on a single stack but in the next version the basic operations occur on an evaluation stack.

This however has lead to an interesting fact: all of the MSIL opcodes are going to be available directly from Cat. Apart from the usual operators, there is going to be two addtional operators: msil_load and msil_store. These operators copy to and from the main stack and the evaluation stack respectiviely. Now the entire set of MSIL operators will be exposed as follows: msil.Add, msil.Add_Ovf, msil.Add_Ovf_Un, ...

Jules Jacobs

Nickname: jules2

Re: MSIL (aka CIL) Pitfalls for Language Designers Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:04 AM
Why don't you compile it to machine code? This can be *very* efficient, because Cat maps much better to machine code than most other languages.

Jules Jacobs

Re: MSIL (aka CIL) Pitfalls for Language Designers Posted: Jun 24, 2006 3:05 AM
P.S. it can probably be faster than C.

Christopher Diggins

Nickname: cdiggins

Re: MSIL (aka CIL) Pitfalls for Language Designers Posted: Jun 24, 2006 10:55 AM
I am generating MSIL code for now simply because it is easier to do and I can leverage the .NET libraries. The native Cat compiler is definitely a task I plan on doing.

> P.S. it can probably be faster than C.

I believe that this will be true as well.

If anyone was interested in running off an creating a native Cat compiler (*nudge, nudge*), I would help out as much as I can.

Jules Jacobs

Re: MSIL (aka CIL) Pitfalls for Language Designers Posted: Jun 26, 2006 9:39 AM
I don't know much assembly, but I'm going to learn it (don't expect quick results!). If I know enough, I'll write a compiler for a stack based language that's simpler than Cat, and maybe a Cat compiler after that. One thing that may be a problem is that [a b c] is a list of a b and c *and* it's a function (I don't know much Cat, but it's the same as Joy I assume). This could make the language less efficient and hard to compile.

If you have this:

a = [b] [c] ifel

you can compile it to something like this:

a = 'b 'c ifel

('b means: push the location of the 'b procedure on the stack)

So this:

a = [b c d] i

=>

a = 'foo i
foo = b c d

=>

label a:
// ...
push('b)
goto pop()

=>

No promises, but I do find Cat very interesting (at the moment ;-)) & probably promising.

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: MSIL (aka CIL) Pitfalls for Language Designers Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Goings on at XP2006 (Part 1)

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use