The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Closed-Source Cocoa - Arrogance, Empowerment or Commercial Necessity?

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Sep 5, 2006 6:57 PM by Andy Dent

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Andy Dent

Nickname: andydent

Closed-Source Cocoa - Arrogance, Empowerment or Commercial Necessity? (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jul 6, 2006 3:51 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
OO frameworks, especially in the C++ world, have usually shipped with source. This is often highly educational and sometimes a life-saver. Until, Apple didn't ship the Cocoa source.
Advertisement

I have to confess up-front that I only have one substantial Cocoa project under my belt (so far). The scars healed a year or so ago.

I haven't had the time recently to do more than gaze wistfully at Apple's sample code (working in MFC is hard when you know the grass is greener) and there are a lot more good books out there than when I was doing Cocoa. There are probably fewer undocumented interfaces as well.

However, I'm still bearing a grudge - where's the damn source code! .

So, why did Apple do it?

• Arrogance of NextStep engineers with little respect for the Mac developer culture? I don't really believe this but there weren't many apologies floating around.
  • Empowerment of Apple internal developers, free to hack the internals as much as they liked? But, hang on a minute, just how empowered are you if you are trying to keep the interfaces compatible so you don't bury your userbase in QuickSand?
  • Commercial Necessity / Paranoia - don't give away too much?

I've been looking through some old PowerPlant code lately (yes, using ObjectMaster ) and delving deep into MFC source to debug some hairy problems ( shudder ) and it made me remember just how hard it was to achieve similar debugging on my Cocoa project.

Let's just call this a Neutrally Nostalgic posting.

Leandro Oliveira

Nickname: lao

Re: Closed-Source Cocoa - Arrogance, Empowerment or Commercial Necessity? Posted: Jul 11, 2006 6:52 PM
You forgot to mention that they could be ashamed of the quality of their code. :)

Andy Dent

Nickname: andydent

Re: Closed-Source Cocoa - Arrogance, Empowerment or Commercial Necessity? Posted: Sep 5, 2006 6:57 PM
They are still doing it!

On a search for a Mac-based test runner for cppunit, I found myself read in not-quite-disbelief

http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/archives/2006/06/01/cplustest/

As of Xcode 2.1, Apple's developer tools have shipped with support for writing unit tests in Objective-C, C++, and C....for C++, they used a framework called CPlusTest. What's that? Never heard of it? That's because Apple created it. Apparently none of the multitude of existing frameworks were good enough. So they created their own. And made it closed source.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Closed-Source Cocoa - Arrogance, Empowerment or Commercial Necessity? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Closures and Anonymous Functions

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use