The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Hardware Upgrade Tonight

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Sep 6, 2006 5:26 AM by Sam Griffith Jr.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Hardware Upgrade Tonight (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 6:05 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Tonight we'll be upgrading the hardware that serves up Artima. In the future the site should scale better under heavy load, but tonight there will be some outage. We apologize in advance for the inconvenience.
Advertisement

The hardware upgrade will also involve an IP address change, in fact, the site will be hosted at a new ISP. We ask for your patience tonight as we work to accomplish this upgrade.

Sam Griffith Jr.

Nickname: staypufd

Re: Hardware Upgrade Tonight Posted: Sep 6, 2006 5:26 AM
Reply to this message Reply
I'm glad to see this book getting renewed recognition and I would suggest a update to make it inclusive of the popular languages of today. (ie - Java & C#).

I would like to throw this idea in though. We have an example of a multi-paradigm approach & language, that had extensive use for large and small systems, even before this book came out. It is LISP. LISP has been what I would consider the ultimate multi-paradigm language. The old saying about it being able to add any paradigm to itself and still be LISP, while at the same time fully assimalating those paradigms, has proven true many times over the years - LISP is like a ball of mud, no matter what new things and ideas you add to it, you still have a ball of mud.

I remember how the book impacted my view of systems even though I'd been doing OO since 1987. I had been lucky enought to learn Object Pascal and Smalltalk-80 in 1986-87 and have a good world view of OO from my readings of the first 2 years of OOPSLA proceedings and other writings. The book not only talked about MPD, but also gave great examples of usage in practical ways.

Crongrates on it's resurrection and hopefully the ideas will get more press this time around.

Sam Griffith Jr

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Hardware Upgrade Tonight Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: User Experience - Decrease Stress, Increase Joy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use