The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
The JVM as an (Un)Common Language Runtime

30 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Sep 29, 2006 7:53 AM by G B

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1 2 3 ]
G B

Nickname: gbittar

Re: We all have opinions Posted: Sep 29, 2006 7:53 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
"It would probably be better to build a generic VM designed to implement a set of features common to dynamic languages and then target a java compiler at that. ~ Force fitting richer languages into the VM of a feature poor language looks to me like a losing game."

Todd, if generality is what they're after, then hopefully they'll implement a least common denominator VM. I'd be interested to learn whether Dan Ingalls agrees and, if so, whether he'd have the political clout to engineer the VM that way.

I'm getting the feeling that Sun is lowering the boom on Java, in slo-mo. There's a lively Open Source community of web developers which have created new frameworks for Java to live in, but Open Source also leads towards language indifference.

What stake does Sun have in Java these days? It's a question that's on a few peoples' minds, I'd imagine.

Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ « | 1  2  3 ]
Topic: The JVM as an (Un)Common Language Runtime Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Cat now has a Type System

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use