The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available

9 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 29, 2007 3:07 AM by Paddy McCarthy

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 9 replies on 1 page
David Goodger

Nickname: goodger

Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 11:08 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The materials for the tutorial I presented at PyCon 2007 and OSCON 2007 are now available on my website (with links).
Advertisement

The tutorial, presented on Monday morning (July 23rd) here in Portland, went very well. All reports are positive. I procrastinated and didn't post the notes after PyCon, but they're now updated and posted on my web site, as an S5/HTML slideshow, as a plain HTML page (i.e., the handout), and the reST source.

The content is under a Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike (BY-SA) license. (In other words, you're welcome to reuse this material in your own way, but you have to credit me and give back your changes using the same license.)

Feedback is welcome. Enjoy.

Thomas Guest

Nickname: tag

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 12:47 AM
I think this is an excellent presentation. It collects and distills a lot of best practice and common knowledge. I didn't learn much from it, but I do wish something like this had been available when I was learning Python, and will certainly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn Python.

Richard Jones

Nickname: rjones

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 3:28 AM
David, thanks for posting this! It's quite timely as I'm currently revamping a lecture series I'll be giving at a local University. I hope you don't mind me stealing some ideas from your presentation!

Baiju M

Nickname: baijum81

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 6:21 AM
Can you share the ReST source ?

Osvaldo Santana Neto

Nickname: osantana

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 6:52 AM
Hi David,

I think that I've found a little mistake at slide "Testing for Truth Values".

You are using "if items: ..." in "do this" and "if len(items) == 0: ..." in "not this".

I think the correct is "if not items: ..." or "if len(items) != 0: ..." and "if items != []: ...".

David Goodger

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 7:02 AM
Richard: not at all, please go ahead and use it. I added a link to a CC BY-SA license to the blog post.

David Goodger

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 7:03 AM
> Can you share the ReST source ?

Baiju: the presentation.txt file was already there; I have added a link.

David Goodger

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 7:26 AM
> I think that I've found a little mistake at slide "Testing
> for Truth Values".

Osvaldo: I think you're right; I got the sense backwards. I will fix it ASAP. Thanks!

bug not

Nickname: bugmenot

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 26, 2007 12:04 PM
I think python needs an "effective python" book, with all this cool tips. I would buy it.

Paddy McCarthy

Nickname: paddy3118

Re: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Posted: Jul 29, 2007 3:07 AM
Hmm, rather than 'Good Python Programming Practices' its called 'Idiomatic Python' so I guess a section on the need to test, and the availability of doctest may be out of place?

(But at least I get it into the comments :-)

- Paddy.

Flat View: This topic has 9 replies on 1 page
Topic: Slides/Handout for "Code Like A Pythonista: Idiomatic Python" Available Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What's the Most Effective Code Style Policy?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use