The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Software Metrics Don't Kill Projects, Moronic Managers Kill Projects

50 replies on 51 pages. Most recent reply: May 16, 2008 1:38 PM by Thomas Cagley

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 51  | » ]
Peter Moore

Nickname: pte

Re: Software Metrics Don't Kill Projects, Moronic Managers Kill Projects Posted: Oct 30, 2007 9:21 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Demoing Clover around the world, people often ask me "what do you think is a good coverage %?"

I think the answer applies to most software metrics in most situations. That is, the number itself doesn't matter as much as the trend. I usually say something along the lines of "I can't tell you how well you should test your software without knowing a whole bunch about your project, but it is a bloody good idea to at least ensure you don't make it worse." depending how much beer I've drunk and how long I've been booth monkeying for ...

Anyway, two points:

a) metrics are useful, but trying to compare to some "industry wide" measure is probably not very useful[1] and could certainly be dangerous.

b) metrics over time tell you a lot more about your team than at any moment in time.

[1] unless you are a consultant selling snake oil, in that case metrics are great ;)

Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 | » ]
Topic: Software Metrics Don't Kill Projects, Moronic Managers Kill Projects Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Thinking in Java 4e

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use