The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Software Metrics Don't Kill Projects, Moronic Managers Kill Projects

50 replies on 51 pages. Most recent reply: May 16, 2008 1:38 PM by Thomas Cagley

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 51  | » ]
Morgan Conrad

Nickname: miata71

Re: Software Metrics Don't Kill Projects, Moronic Managers Kill Projects Posted: Nov 5, 2007 12:20 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Maybe these metrics will end up being used more like medical tests. For example, if someone has high cholesterol, it doesn't mean that they are "bad code" and will die of a heart attack. But it means to watch out for other things. For example, if your code had a bad "cholesterol metric", maybe it works fine. It sells great, acceptable number of bugs, customers are happy.

But when marketing wants to add a "sit around on your butt all day" feature and integrate into the new Web 3.0 "smoke and eat donuts" XML standard, it will be more dangerous to port that code, and he should expect it to take more time, require more testers, etc...

Another, more relevant example. I frankly never worry about cyclic coupling. Cause, in my experience, it's best to bundle everything into a very small number of big .jar files anyway. (see Note a below) So, other than a few basic divisions, there's really no "value" in working very hard to layerize the code. So, I'm guessing that my code has a high cyclic coupling. IF management wants or needs to split it up into many smaller jars, that's a red flag.

(Note a)

One project at our company had ~150 distributable jars. I guess the idea was to have simple updates, versions, etc. Also, not all were required for all applications.

But, it's literally impossible to manage this. For example, if there are 3 versions of each, plus a "null version" (not having that jar at all) you have 4^150 possibilities. Which I think is more than the estimated number of particles in the universe.

Flat View: This topic has 50 replies on 51 pages [ « | 30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38 | » ]
Topic: Software Metrics Don't Kill Projects, Moronic Managers Kill Projects Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Thinking in Java 4e

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use