The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML

8 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 1, 2009 11:51 PM by Olaf Olaf

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Sean Neville

Nickname: psneville

Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Nov 26, 2003 9:22 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Intelligent folks have offered really good questions about just what the heck we're doing with Flex and how it fits into Service Oriented Architectures, Struts, J2EE, and ASP.NET web apps. Thus: Pointers to a few responses of general note plus a look at the MXML syntax.
Advertisement

Mark Figley posted great questions to my previous entry on Flex and Central, and I responded with some code samples and a deeper look at the MXML syntax (scroll to fourth reply, looks like there are no named anchors in the forum).

I particularly wanted to point out the sample that employs a Struts Model within MXML, and the aggregation of it with a SOAP web service. These two remote services are bound to rich visual components through MXML's data binding feature. I feel I owe you folks a better example than this quick sample, so I plan to follow up with a more comprehensive look soon.

Despite the Struts example, this is not intended to be a J2EE-only technology. The working idea is that a developer could craft a rich app using MXML and drop the source into an ASP.NET app just as easily as he could into a J2EE WAR file. In fact this poses the humorous (to me, anyway) possibility that a developer could use the Eclipse plugin for Flex which IBM is developing and generate MXML using Java-based Eclipse but then deploy the MXML into .NET. Not that I think this is likely to happen, and we'll likely have a tooling strategy for .NET ourselves; but write-once run-anywhere takes on more irony as far as the theory goes.

In my response to Mark, I also brushed past an interesting discovery we've made about the duties of a client-side Controller in rich apps: It often speaks with (or encapsulates) a mediator bridge that links a client-side controller to a server-side controller in rich apps. I like to refer to this is an Application Mediator because rather than sending Data Transfer Objects from a server-side domain model over to a thin client, in many cases we're talking about distributing the domain model so that it can partially reside on the client, with asynchronous messaging between the tiers for synchronization of the various concerns; this seems to be the successful approach to achieving rich offline and occasionally-connected behaviors. This is a patterns topic worth exploring more deeply.

As a final pointer, take a look at Christophe's friendly walkthrough of MXML basics on the Macromedia site for more MXML info, and feel free to give Christophe a yell, as he's smart and humble and it's his full-time job to listen to what you have to say.

Jasmin Mehta

Nickname: jtm

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Mar 5, 2004 8:37 AM
I am looking for some article/example code that gives step by steps instructions to use Struts with Flex. So far I have seen example of struts with webservice. Also how the struts-config.xml will change? and where to place other rerquire files like .tld and .jar for flex/struts.

I have current J2EE web application that is using Struts. I want to convert from JSPs (that has Struts framework) to JSPs with Flex and Struts framework together.

It would be great if I can get information about how render this stuff. I am using IBM Websphere studio 5.1.

Thanks
Jasmin

vikram

Nickname: vicky1000

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Sep 8, 2005 4:09 AM
I am looking for step by step instructions to use Struts with Flex. So far I have used struts with jsp.
where do i have to place rerquired files like .tld and .jar for flex/struts.

I have current J2EE web application that is using Struts. I want to convert from JSPs (that has Struts framework) to JSPs with Flex and Struts framework together.

i have installed flex.do i have to install flash player also?.
I am using Suse Linux, eclipse.
i'll be greatful if u can help me(ASAP).
thanx and god bless
vikram

imtiyaz basga

Nickname: imtiyaz

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Aug 7, 2007 11:20 AM
Hi Friends,

Long back I have gone through the instrcutions notes to integrate Flex and Struts application
Please look at the following link http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/struts.html

It may be help you.

Regards,
Imtiyaz.m.s

Abdul Areef

Nickname: areefon

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Nov 4, 2008 10:15 PM
in my application , i used the Struts -> JSP to display the Data, but i would like to have it as a Struts -> Flex (Without JSP). is it possible, have it like this. i am waiting for your response.

thanks
areef

Abdul Areef

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:42 AM
Hi friend,
i also went through this site, but here they are saying that connecting the flex with Struts using JSP. but
i need to connect the Flex without JSP, is it possible

reply me to my corporate id areef@visiontss.com, or areef.on@gmail.com (mention the subject like : Flex doubt)
thanks

Abdul Areef

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:43 AM
Hi Friend,

i am new Flex, i need to connect the Flex and struts without JSP, is it possible,

reply me to my corporate id areef@visiontss.com, or areef.on@gmail.com (mention the subject like : Flex doubt)
thanks

Abdul Areef

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:43 AM
Hi Friend,

i am new Flex, i need to connect the Flex and struts without JSP, is it possible,

thanks

Olaf Olaf

Nickname: simplyolaf

Re: Flex Questions, Struts, Mediator vs. Controller, and a Look at MXML Posted: Jul 1, 2009 11:51 PM
You can find here a tutorial on how to upload a file using adobe flex and struts 2.
More tutorials about integrating adoble flex and struts 2 are on the way. So you might as well bookmark my blog ;-)

http://simplyolaf.blogspot.com/2009/07/uploading-file-with-flex-3-and-struts-2.html

Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Topic: Self-Introduction and Declaration of Intents Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/29

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use