The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
What first graders can teach us.

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 18, 2009 7:51 AM by David Vydra

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
David Vydra

Nickname: dvydra

What first graders can teach us. (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 1:22 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Some of the skills taught to first graders appear to foreshadow modern development practices. You decide.
Advertisement

Yesterday, my wife asked me to replace her as a volunteer in our daughter's first grade classroom. To my surprise, I found the experience relevant to my day job. Two practices of the first graders stood out: "imaginative spelling" and "sloppy copy". The first stipulated that when writing stories the students are only responsible for correctly spelling the words that they have explicitly studied. The second, encouraged students to jot down their thoughts in a stream-of-consciousness mode and then do another pass focusing on correctness and neatness of letters.

Holy cow! The kids were being taught the practice refactoring! Just as in literary writing, episodes of stream-of-consciousness coding are an important part of the process, but unlike writers, many developers feel that their code is good enough and that they are measured solely on the quantity of implemented features. This is a short-sighted view. For example, the deficiency I most often spot on projects is the lack of knowledge and practice of the the "compose method" refactoring which is the number one cure for unreadable code. See: http://www.industriallogic.com/xp/refactoring/composeMethod.html

At the end of the day, customers need to define that "done" means for any particular piece of software. Most customers - often with the help of a trusted adviser - will opt for code that is readable, DRY, layered, modularized, loosely coupled and testable. Getting there usually involves significant code refactoring and should be treated as a sign of a mature development culture. In such a culture you will often spot practices such as peer code reviews, pair-programming, and test-driven development -- they all help us stay honest and disciplined. Now, honestly, is your shop still shipping "sloppy copy"?

John Wellbelove

Nickname: garibaldi

Re: What first graders can teach us. Posted: Feb 18, 2009 2:07 AM
>>Getting there usually involves significant code refactoring and should be treated as a sign of a mature development culture.

I'm afraid that highlights all that seems wrong to me in 'agile' coding culture. We produce code that is 'readable, DRY, layered, modularized, loosely coupled and testable.' and involves surprisingly little 'refactoring'. This is down to a culture in our company of 'getting it right first time'.

David Vydra

Nickname: dvydra

Re: What first graders can teach us. Posted: Feb 18, 2009 7:51 AM
@John Do you refactor as you code? If your code is so modularized that is never needs refactoring when new features are added, I would love to see it. ;) All I have seen so far is lack of refactoring leading to technical debt that saps the spirit out of the project.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: PyConTre Italy Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How Do You Force Volunteers To Do Something?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use