The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/17

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 2, 2009 11:10 PM by Michele Simionato

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/17 (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 11:10 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
This episodes explains how to implement a functional list comprehension syntax in Scheme. The difference with Python list comprehension is also explained. Moreover, I have decided to distribute the code create for this series as a library: http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/scheme/aps.zip
Advertisement

The APS library

The R6RS standard provides a few list utilities; the SRFI-1 provides a few others. Nevertheless the offering is incomplete: in particular a list comprehension syntax is missing. Therefore I have decided to distribute a library providing list comprehension and more. Such library will be useful for future episodes of my Adventures, in particular for part IV, about advanced macro programming. After all, macro programming is nothing else than manipulation of code seen as a nested list of expressions.

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/scheme/aps_lib_03.jpg

With a remarkable lack of fantasy, I have decided to call the library list-utils and to put it in a package called aps (aps of course stands for Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland and not for American Physical Society ;). In this way I will be contributing to the entropy and I will be littering the world with yet another version of utilities that I would rather not write, but this cannot be helped :-(

For your convenience, I have added in the library the Python-style utilities range, zip, transpose, enumerate I did discuss in episodes 7 and 8, as well as the let+ list destructuring macro I introduced in episode 15. I have also added the reference implementation of SRFI-26 i.e. the cut and cute macros described in episode _14. Moreover, the aps package contains the testing framework discussed in episode 11, renamed as (aps easy-test) and slightly improved (the improvement consists in the addition of catch-error macro, which captures the error message). Finally, the aps library includes a more recent version of sweet-macros than the one I discussed in episode 9, so you should replace the old one if you have it.

You can download the package from here: http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/scheme/aps.zip

Just unzip the archive and put the files somewhere in your path:

$ cd <DIRECTORY-IN-YOUR-SCHEME-PATH>
$ unzip aps.zip
inflating: sweet-macros.sls
inflating: aps/cut.sls
inflating: aps/easy-test.sls
inflating: aps/list-utils.sls

You can test the library as follows:

$ ikarus --r6rs-script aps/test-all.ss
Run 25 tests. 25 passed, 0 failed

Currently all the tests pass with the latest development version of Ikarus. They also pass with the latest development version of Ypsilon and with PLT Scheme version 4, except for the test zip-with-error:

(test "zip-with-error"
      (catch-error (zip '(a b c) '(1 2)))
      "length mismatch")

However, this is an expected failure, since the error messages are different between Ikarus, Ypsilon and PLT Scheme. Clearly, checking for an implementation-dependent error message is a bad idea and I could have thought of a better test, but I am lazy; moreover, I do not want to discuss the error management mechanism in Scheme right now, since it is quite advanced and it is best deferred to future episodes.

Larceny Scheme is not supported since it does not support the .IMPL.sls convention. When it does, it could be supported as well, expecially if I get some help from my readers.

If you are wondering about the so-called .IMPL.sls convention, let me explain that it is a non-standard convention to enable portability about different R6RS implementations. In particular the aps library contains three modules compat.ikarus.sls, compat.mzscheme.sls and compat.ypsilon.sls following the convention. When I write (import (aps compat)) in Ikarus, the file compat.ikarus.sls is read; when I import (aps compat) in PLT, the file compat.mzscheme.sls is read; and finally for Ypsilon the file compat.ypsilon.sls is read. This mechanism allows for writing compatibility wrappers; for instance, here is the content of compat.mzscheme.sls:

#!r6rs
(library (aps compat)
(export printf format gensym pretty-print)
(import (rnrs) (only (scheme) printf format gensym pretty-print)))

Basically all decent Scheme implementations provide printf, format, gensym and pretty-print functionality, usually with these names too, but since they are not standard (which is absurd IMO) one is forced to recur to do-nothing compatibility libraries, which just import the functionality from the implementation-specific module and re-export it :-(

You can try the (aps list-utils) library as follows:

> (import (aps list-utils))
> (enumerate '(a b c))
((0 a) (1 b) (2 c))

Notice that you should consider the aps libraries as experimental and subject to changes, at least until I finish the series, in an indetermined and far away future ;)

Implementing list comprehension

The most important facility in the (aps list-utils) library is a syntax for list comprehension. Perhaps list comprehension is not the greatest discovery in computer science since sliced bread, but I find them enormously more readable than map and filter, which I use only in the simplest case. Nowadays, a lot of languages offer a syntax for list comprehension, starting from Haskell to Python, Javascript and C#.

Scheme does not provide a list comprehension syntax out of the box, but it is a simple exercise in macrology to implement them. Actually there are many available implementations of list comprehension in Scheme. There is even an SRFI (SRFI-42 Eager Comprehensions) which however I do not like at all since it provides too much functionality and an ugly syntax.

Therefore, here I will pursue a different approach to list comprehension, which is shamelessly copied from the work of Phil Bewig, with minor simplifications, and the usage of let+ instead of regular let.

http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles/scheme/list-comprehension.jpg

Here is the implementation

(def-syntax list-of-aux
  (syntax-match (in is)

(sub (list-of-aux expr acc)
     #'(cons expr acc))

(sub (list-of-aux expr acc (var in lst) rest ...)
     #'(let loop ((ls lst))
         (if (null? ls) acc
             (let+ (var (car ls))
               (list-of-aux expr (loop (cdr ls)) rest ...)))))

(sub (list-of-aux expr acc (var is exp) rest ...)
     #'(let+ (var exp) (list-of-aux expr acc rest ...)))

(sub (list-of-aux expr acc pred? rest ...)
     #'(if pred? (list-of-aux expr acc rest ...) acc))
  ))

(def-syntax (list-of expr rest ...)
  #'(list-of-aux expr '() rest ...))

We see here the usage of an helper macro list-of-aux and the usage of an accumulator acc to collect the arguments of the macro. You may understand how it works by judicious use of syntax-expand; for instance (list-of-aux (* 2 x) '() (x in (range 3))) expands into

(let loop ((ls (range 3)))
  (if (null? ls)
      '()
      (let+ (x (car ls))
        (list-of-aux (* 2 x) (loop (cdr ls))))))

which builds the list (0 2 4), since list-of-aux expands to the list constructor cons. Here are a few other test cases you may play with:

(test "double comprehension"
      (list-of (list x y) (x in '(a b c)) (y in '(1 2)))
      '((a 1) (a 2) (b 1) (b 2) (c 1) (c 2)))

(test "double comprehension with constraint"
      (list-of (list x y) (x in (range 3)) (y in (range 3)) (= x y))
      '((0 0) (1 1) (2 2)))

(test "comprehension plus destructuring"
      (list-of (+ x y) ((x y) in '((1 2)(3 4))))
      '(3 7))

The macro is able to define nested list comprehensions at any level of nesting; the rightmost variables corresponds to the inner loops and its is even possible to implement constraints and destructuring: basically, we have the same power of Python list comprehensions, except that that the objects in the in clause must be true lists, whereas in Python they can be generic iterables (including infinite ones).

A tricky point

On the surface, the list-of macro looks the same as Python list comprehension; however, there a few subtle differences under the hood, since the loop variables are treated differently. You can see the different once you consider a list comprehension containing closures. In Scheme a list comprehensions of closures works as you would expect:

> (define three-thunks (list-of (lambda () i) (i in '(0 1 2))))
> (list-of (t) (t in three-thunks))
(0 1 2)

In Python instead you get a surprising result (unless you really know how the for loop work):

>>> three_thunks = [(lambda : i) for i in [0, 1, 2]]
>>> [f() for f in three_thunks]
[2, 2, 2]

The reason is that Python is not really a functional language, so that the for loop works by mutating the loop variable i: since the thunk is called after the end at the loop, it sees the latest value of i, i.e. 2. The same is true in Common Lisp if you use the LOOP macro. In Scheme instead (and in Haskell, the language that invented list comprehension) there is no mutation of the loop variable: at each iteration a new fresh i is created. You can emulate in Python what Scheme does for free by using two lambdas:

>>> three_thunks = [(lambda x : (lambda : x))(i) for i in [0, 1, 2]]
[0, 1, 2]

(another way of course is to use the well know default argument trick, lambda i=i: i, but that is not a direct translation of how Scheme of Haskell work by introducing a new scope at each iteration).

On the other hand, Python wins on Scheme for what concern polymorphism: in Python is it possible to iterate on any iterable without any effort, whereas in Scheme you need to specify the data structure you are iterating over. For instance, if you want to iterate on vectors you need to define a vector-of macro for vector comprehension; if you want to interate on hash table you need to define an hash-table comprehension macro hash-table-of, and so on. Alternatively, you must convert you data structure into a list and use list-of. This is annoying. In Python on the contrary there is a common protocol for all iterable objects so that the same for syntax can be used everywhere.

The list comprehension defined here only works for finite iterables; Python however has also a generator comprehension that works on potentially infinite iterables. Scheme too allows to define infinite iterables, the so called streams, which however are a functional data structure quite different from Python generators, which are imperative. Discussing streams will fill the next episode. For the moment, have patience!

Elizabeth Wiethoff

Nickname: ewiethoff

Re: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/17 Posted: Mar 5, 2009 1:25 PM
I think of Python's loop variable "problem" being due not so much to the loop var getting mutated, but to its scope being outside the loop:

>>> three_thunks = [(lambda : i) for i in [0, 1, 2]]
[2, 2, 2]
>>> i

Contrast with Ruby, whose block vars are limited to block scope:

>> three_thunks = (0..2).map { |i| lambda {i} }
=> [#<Proc:0x21801b>, #<Proc:0x616cae>, #<Proc:0x261f7f>]
>> three_thunks.map { |f| f.call }
=> [0, 1, 2]
>> i
NameError: undefined local variable or method `i' for main:Object

On the other hand, I notice a Ruby for-loop variable has outside scope, like Python's:

>> three_thunks = []
=> []
>> for i in 0..2 do
?> three_thunks.push(lambda {i})
?> end
=> 0..2
>> three_thunks.map { |f| f.call }
=> [2, 2, 2]
>> i
=> 2

A Ruby for-loop is a seldom used construct, and perhaps the loop var scope "problem" is why. Hmm.

Thanks again for your "Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland" series. I always enjoy different languages learning from one another.

Michele Simionato

Nickname: micheles

Re: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/17 Posted: Mar 5, 2009 9:25 PM
> I think of Python's loop variable "problem" being due not so much to the loop var getting mutated, but to its scope being outside the loop

I thought the same once, but I was mistaken. The point is very subtle indeed.

Consider a generator expression, where the loop variable does not
leak; here *apparently* everything works as in Scheme:

>>> three_thunks = ((lambda : i) for i in [0, 1, 2])
[0, 1, 2]

However, this is just an illusion, as you see if you
exaust the generator expression before calling the thunks:

>>> three_thunks = list((lambda : i) for i in [0, 1, 2])
[2, 2, 2]

The problem is really due to mutation. In any case the chunk returns the
value of the loop variable *at the time it is called*, even if the loop
variable does not leak out of the loop:

>>> i
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'i' is not defined

Elizabeth Wiethoff

Nickname: ewiethoff

Re: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland/17 Posted: Mar 6, 2009 12:21 AM
Interesting. The difference between your (generator expression) outcome and list(generator expression) outcome is not something I expect. Makes sense, though, when I ponder it enough... And when I study PEP 289! (Doh!)

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: Joel vs Bob and Kent. Different strokes for different folks. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The  Earth is Always Flat Where You’re Standing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use