The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
One per Pixel.

19 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Aug 17, 2006 12:10 PM by Cleo Saulnier

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Kimberley Burchett

Nickname: kimbly

Context Matters Posted: Jun 6, 2003 3:56 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
I have worked at places where I've been in the elite, and I've worked at places where I've been in the middle, and on occasion I even qualify as a Waste Of Space for a month or two. There are several factors that influence how productive I am, personally.

First, the fewer developers the better. This is more than just being a big fish in a little pond, it's about feeling responsible for the code. If I'm in a group of 20, my contribution doesn't matter as much as if I'm in a group of four, so I simply don't care as much.

Second, distractions must be minimized. I enjoy helping people and answering questions, but they really cut into my concentration. Unfortunately it's rude to ask people to use email instead of popping over for a visit or sending an instant message. Also, if I'm in an environment where I have meetings every day, scheduled such that they break my time up into hour-long chunks, then my attention is guaranteed to wander. For this reason, I tend to work best at night.

Third, history and familiarity with the code is very important. In code I've written and/or rewritten, I'm extremely productive. In code that I'm unfamiliar with, I'm not. It also helps a lot if the person who *did* write the code is willing to take the time to answer questions, without getting irritated. I also find that different people write the same program in vastly different ways, and if you're working on a codebase that was architected very differently from the way you would have done it, it can be difficult to ever get comfortable.

Fourth, management is important. For example, I need to feel just enough time-pressure to make me pay attention, but not so much that I give up in despair. I also need to get feedback as to how my work is perceived by users (did it suck? did it rock?) otherwise my work starts to seem pointless and I lose motivation.

Fifth, I find that as time goes on, my productivity does *not* improve noticeably. For the first three or four years it improved dramatically, but since then I seem to have plateaued. I currently have eight years of professional programming experience.

Nick Robinson

Nickname: nrobin

Re: One per Pixel. Posted: Jun 17, 2003 9:26 AM
On the whole I agree with Uncle Bob, but I also agree that lifes not always as it seems. I have been to a number of companies and looked at code that has made me go weak at the knees. In my rooky days I would even express my distaste openly. This got me into trouble when a senior developer pulled me across to the side and told me to shut it. His basic argument was simple: they had been forced to hack away at what they were doing because of other incompetences - not directly related to the software development. It is this I still hang on to whenever I look at code.

However, another part of me says that if you are forced to make a hack, then you at least do it such that it adheres to good software principles. Maybe I first assertion was right afterall.

Nick.

Maurizio Turatti

Nickname: mkj6

Re: One per Pixel. Posted: Jun 26, 2003 4:55 PM
> Mind you, those were 2 90 hour weeks. So you're
> asking me to believe you produced almost eighty lines
> of debugged code per hour
? Hmmm. It would be impolite
> to call you a liar, so you are clearly among the world's
> elite.

Gulp! I think I'm not able even to *understand* eighty lines of code in one hour. I feel I'm a dork...

Bob Somers

Nickname: soc7

Re: One per Pixel. Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:36 AM
From a pure managerial perspective: Even if they are only ten percent as productive, a billion Indians and Chinese are going to get more done than you internet-addicted pocket-protectors ever did. Now get back to work.

Cleo Saulnier

Nickname: vorlath

Re: One per Pixel. Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:10 PM
In my home town, 90% of the drivers think they are the best, yet my town has been nominated (Discover Channel) for having the worst drivers in the world (which is true). I think the same mentality applies to programmers in general.

Flat View: This topic has 19 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: One per Pixel. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python in Google Code Jam

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use