The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
I'd rather use a socket.

16 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Mar 4, 2005 12:11 PM by Patrick Bailey

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1 2 ]
Brendan Johnston

Nickname: bjsyd70

Re: I'd rather use a socket. Posted: Mar 15, 2004 1:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
I have just witnessed someone spend 3 days trying to get a CORBA/EJB interface to a system work. There were stub version conficts, class loader issues. They needed to make a couple of calls. Sockets would have had them waste a couple of hours. An opaque solution means no end is in sight.

Patrick Bailey

Nickname: bigkumkwat

Re: I'd rather use a socket. Posted: Mar 4, 2005 12:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply
I have to agree with the premise. At times everyone wants to use the newest air power hammer when all you're doing is hanging a picture above your toilet.

I was in one organization that mandated all messages sent between processes had to be done through MQ Series. Granted, MQ Series is good at "assuring" delivery of message between disparate systems, it was a bit overboard when the processes were on the same CPU on a UNIX system. For some reason they were concerned that a message on a UNIX message queue could get lost. True - if you were always bringing the operating system down, but I found highly unlikely. They never stopped to ask the question, for all the fees given to IBM and ongoing "maintenance" support, how much is really at risk if a message was lost. It was eventually found to be marginal. BUT BY HEAVENS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TELLING A CORPORATE ARCHITECT THAT THEY CAN'T HAVE THEIR BLANKET STANDARDS SO THEY FIND A REASON NOT TO SUPPORT ANYTHING!

Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ « | 1  2 ]
Topic: Secure Application Development Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Security?  What's that?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use