The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Dividends and director withdrawals

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
Dividends and director withdrawals Posted: Feb 20, 2017 6:07 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: Dividends and director withdrawals
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

Everyone running their own business except me probably already knows this. But, three years in, I think I’ve finally actually understood in my own mind the difference between a dividend and a director withdrawal. My accountant, Crunch1 have me record both of them when I take money out of the company, and I didn’t really get why until recently. When I finally got it, I wrote myself a note that I could go back to and read when I get confused again, and I thought I’d publish that here so others can see it too.

(Important note: this is not financial advice. If my understanding here differs from your understanding, trust yourself, or your accountant. I’m also likely glossing over many subtleties, etc, etc. If you think this is downright wrong, I’d be interested in hearing. If you think it’s over-simplified, you’re doubtless correct.)

A dividend is a promise to pay you X money.

A director withdrawal is you taking that money out.

So when a pound comes in, you can create a dividend to say: we’ll pay Stuart 80p.

When you take the money out, you record a director withdrawal of 80p.

Dividends are IOUs. Withdrawals are you cashing the IOU in.

So when the “director’s loan account is overdrawn”, that means: you have recorded dividends of N but have recorded director withdrawals of more than N, i.e., you’ve taken out more than the company wants to pay you. This may be because you are owed the amount you took, and recorded director withdrawals for all that but forgot to do a dividend for it, or because you’ve taken more than you’re allowed.

When creating a new dividend (in Crunch) it will (usefully) say what the maximum dividend you can take is; that should be the maximum takeable while still leaving enough money in the account to pay the tax bill.

In the Pay Yourself dashboard (in Crunch) it’ll say “money owed to Stuart”; that’s money that’s been promised with a dividend but not taken out with a withdrawal. (Note: this may be because you forgot to do a withdrawal for money you’ve taken! In theory it would mean money promised with a dividend but not taken, but maybe you took it and just didn’t do a withdrawal to record that you took it. Check.)

1. who are really handy, online, and are happy to receive emails in which I ask stupid questions over and over again: if you need an accountant too, this referral link will get us both some money off

Read: Dividends and director withdrawals

Topic: A standard password change API Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Quiet Voice

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use