The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
Visual Development versus Coding

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 3, 2007 6:34 AM by Achilleas Margaritis

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Visual Development versus Coding Posted: Jun 26, 2007 1:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
In this interview with Artima, David Intersimone, Vice President of Developer Relations and Chief Evangelist at CodeGear, discusses the role of designing software using visual tools as opposed to coding.

Read this Leading-Edge Java article:

http://www.artima.com/lejava/articles/javaone_2007_david_intersimone.html

When do you think it is appropriate to use a visual tool versus coding? In what ways have you used visual tools in the past that have worked well or not worked well?

James Watson

Nickname: watson

Re: Visual Development versus Coding Posted: Jun 28, 2007 6:18 AM
It sounds like Borland finally incorporated the functionality from Together into JBuilder.

I would go even farther than just that you should be able work in text or in graphics. The primary representation of the code should be in text. Not in XML or in a database table. Text files that you can look at in any basic text editor. The graphical tools should be a secondary concern.

Anyone who has ever had to repair corrupted code-data for a graphical tool would agree, I believe.

Achilleas Margaritis

Nickname: achilleas

Re: Visual Development versus Coding Posted: Jul 3, 2007 6:34 AM
I like visual development, it certainly has a place amongst dev tools. I would like to see a data-driven visual development though, where the programmer graphically specifies processing paths of data, where processing nodes are algorithms, GUIs and databases. It would certainly simplify lots of business-type applications.

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: Scaling with Rich Clients Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Dataflow Parallelism in Java

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use