The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
Scala: A Scalable Language

8 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Dec 10, 2008 1:00 PM by Jason Young

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 6, 2008 1:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
This article, based on Chapter 1 of the book <a href="http://www.artima.com/shop/forsale">Programming in Scala</a>, describes the scalable programming features of Scala:

http://www.artima.com/scalazine/articles/scalable-language.html

What do you think of the language features described in the article?

Leo Lipelis

Nickname: aeoo

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 6, 2008 6:51 PM
The language features sound great to me.

Can anyone comment on Rich Hickey's decision to make all values read-only in Clojure and how Scala compares in that regard? Does anyone believe that, paraphrased, "updatable values are the new spaghetti code", as Rich says? If no, why not? If yes, what does Scala do about it?

Joshua Cough

Nickname: joshcough

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 6, 2008 8:50 PM
I can't say much about Clojure, but I do agree that state leads to spaghetti in most situations.

Scala allows you to have read-only, and writable fields called val, and var. I think it is normally suggested that you use val, (everything immutable) unless you have a really good reason for state.

My rather uneducated guess is that Scala allows for var because (hardcore functional programmers please don't kill me) it makes sense in some situations, and to ease Java programmers into functional programming.

Jiri Goddard

Nickname: goddard

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 6, 2008 11:11 PM
scala sounds great.
the val (value) is like constant, var (variable) is nothing more than variable - it can change its value whenever.

Alex Stojan

Nickname: alexstojan

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 7, 2008 7:14 AM
> My rather uneducated guess is that Scala allows for var
> because (hardcore functional programmers please don't kill
> me) it makes sense in some situations, and to ease Java
> programmers into functional programming.

It definitely makes sense in certain situations to be able to use state, i.e. mutable objects. For example, if you have a queue that you need to modify it would be very inefficient to create a new queue every time you do an add or remove.

Vijay Kandy

Nickname: vijaykandy

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 7, 2008 8:42 AM
Looks like Scala borrowed a lot of concurrency constructs from Erlang rather than from Java. Now I am interested in Scala :)

Joshua Cough

Nickname: joshcough

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 7, 2008 8:56 AM
Scala did borrow the actor model from Erlang, and built it on top of Doug Lea's fork-join.

Jiri Goddard

Nickname: goddard

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: May 7, 2008 12:00 PM
actually scala borrowed a lot of things from many languages, it's a good blend :)

Jason Young

Nickname: apollodude

Re: Scala: A Scalable Language Posted: Dec 10, 2008 1:00 PM
If I understand correctly:

1. The object composition pattern is a language feature in Scala. I imagine this would make a much bigger difference in scalability than combining object-oriented and functional paradigms.

2. Also exciting is the way Scala, like Smalltalk, is a small language with a big API, where operators have almost no special rules regarding lexical or syntactic analysis as they do in languages with far more complex grammars, such as Java or C#.

Hooray for Scala!

Flat View: This topic has 8 replies on 1 page
Topic: How To Go Slow Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Creating Printable Documents with Ruby

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use