The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Articles Forum
Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++

16 replies on 2 pages. Most recent reply: Jul 20, 2012 6:50 AM by Péter Szabados

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ 1 2 | » ]
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 22, 2008 10:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Functions often depend on particular behavioral characteristics (“features”) of code they invoke. For example, thread-safe code must invoke only thread-safe code if it is to remain thread-safe, and exception-safe code must invoke only exception-safe code.
In this article, Scott Meyers describes a technique that enables the specification of arbitrary combinations of user-defined code features on a per-function basis and that detects violations of feature constraints during compilation.
The technique applies to member functions (both nonvirtual and virtual), non-member functions, and function templates; operators are excluded.

Read this article here:

http://www.artima.com/cppsource/codefeatures.html

What do you think of the technique presented in the article?

dark mx

Nickname: darkmx0z

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 23, 2008 9:20 AM
interesting article

concepts (likely to be included in c++0x) could solve it in a more elegant way but as far as I know they can't help with standalone functions, only with types

concept ThreadSafe<typename T> { }
concept ExceptionSafe<typename T> { }
concept Portable { };

struct a {
template<ThreadSafe F> // a will only allow to call other thread safe calls
static void call( )
{
F::call( );
}
};

concept_map ThreadSafe<a> { } // a is thread safe

struct b {
template<ExceptionSafe F> // b will only allow to call other exception safe calls
static void call( )
{
}
};

concept_map ExceptionSafe<b> { } // b is exception safe

struct c {
template<ThreadSafe F> requires ExceptionSafe<F> // c will require both conditions
static void call( )
{
}
};

concept_map ThreadSafe<c> { } // c is both
concept_map ExceptionSafe<c> { }

int main( )
{
a::call<b>( ); // compile-time error, b is not thread safe
a::call<c>( ); // ok, c is thread safe

c::call<a>( ); // compile-time error, a is not exception safe
c::call<b>( ); // compile-time error, b is not thread safe
c::call<c>( ); // ok, c is both thread safe and exception safe
}

Hoang Vu Nguyen

Nickname: vu64

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 23, 2008 6:54 PM
Glad to see Scott back on The C++ Source after two years. The topic concerned is interesting. I also want to hear more about the relationship between this and concepts in C++0x. Hope to see C++0x in your next book.

Rupert Kittinger-Sereinig

Nickname: rkit

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 24, 2008 12:04 PM
Interesting metaprogramming, but I am not convinced that this approach would really improve software quality for real-world projects.

Everything is still based on programmer discipline. How does a "threadsafe" tag save me from calling strerror() instead of strerror_t()?

Also, properties like "threadsafe" or "portable" are very hard to define and will probably change their meaning over time. This looks like a maintainance-nightmare to me.

Krishna Achuthan

Nickname: krishnak

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 24, 2008 1:00 PM
Adding a remove function to the Features class as below makes explicitly removing feature when needed a bit more readable like so:

void f(MakeFeatures<EPSafe>::type features)
{
}

void g(MakeFeatures<EPSafe>::type features)
{
f(features);
}

void g(MakeFeatures<TEPSafe>::type features)
{
f(features.remove<ThreadSafe>());
}

template<typename T>
Features<typename mpl::copy_if<S,mpl::not_<boost::is_same<_1,T> > >::type>
remove()
{
return Features<typename mpl::copy_if<S,mpl::not_<boost::is_same<_1,T> > >::type>();
}

Scott Meyers

Nickname: sdm

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 24, 2008 2:38 PM
> Interesting metaprogramming, but I am not convinced that
> this approach would really improve software quality for
> real-world projects.

I probably should have mentioned in the article that this problem was posed to me by a client. They were developing games running across the internet, and they had the notion of "deterministic" code, which, as best I can recall, was code that yielded exactly the same results, regardless of the platform on which it was run. Some of their functions were "deterministic" and some were not, and they asked me if I could think of a way to make it impossible for "deterministic" functions to call ones that were not "deterministic."

I think that if we had tools to enforce code features, we'd find all kinds of places where they were useful.

> Everything is still based on programmer discipline. How
> does a "threadsafe" tag save me from calling strerror()
> instead of strerror_t()?

Enforcing code features doesn't save you from all your errors, but it gives you a tool to enforce certain interface contracts that are currently invisible to compilers. Think of it as a new feature of the type system. If you find type systems useful, I'd hope you'd see that this new feature could help prevent certain kinds of errors.

> Also, properties like "threadsafe" or "portable" are very
> hard to define and will probably change their meaning over
> time. This looks like a maintainance-nightmare to me.

Current code already depends on code features, and the definitions of those features are already subject to change. If the definition of some feature (such as "thread safe") changes, functions that depend on the new definition will likely behave improperly when calling functions offering only the old definition. We currently catch such errors via code reviews, testing, and debugging. Using the approach I describe, we'd just change the name of the code feature (e.g., from "ThreadSafeV1" to "ThreadSafeV2", possibly having the latter inherit from the former, as suggested in the "Open Issues" section of the article), update the code to use the new feature names in the appropriate places, and recompile. If the result was not consistent, the compiler would complain. I don't see how this would be any worse than the way we currently do things, and I'd expect it to be better.

Scott

Athanasios Kakargias

Nickname: thaaanos

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 25, 2008 5:50 AM
Well I always thought that C++ should have user defined qualifications.
Frankly we have a complete mechanism for only 2 qualifiers : const or volatile, It's a waste.
Why not add more or even let the user specify it's own...
I always wanted an obsoleteor deprecated qualifier...
I bet most c++ devealopers would have their own wishes. Maybe the list isn't that big, maybe in the next standart...

Rupert Kittinger-Sereinig

Nickname: rkit

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 25, 2008 1:07 PM
> I think that if we had tools to enforce code features,
> we'd find all kinds of places where they were useful.
>

I agree, but I think those tools should enforce these features by verifying the sematics of the code, not just checking labels attached to functions.

But where I have to rely on expert knowledege and dicipline, I really prefer assigning attributes to much larger code entities, like complete libraries, or at least at class level. When you start to track something like concurrency at the function level, chances are you are already in big trouble.

dark mx

Nickname: darkmx0z

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 25, 2008 2:03 PM
Since the const qualification to member functions has worked very well, its likely that a generalization of that semantic checking would prove useful.

In fact I find that what Athanasios Kakargias is proposing is trying to be emulated by Scott without language support.

Given that C++0x will have native multithreading support, Scott's and Athanasios' ideas could give us a very elegant solution.

Scott Meyers

Nickname: sdm

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Sep 25, 2008 2:37 PM
> I agree, but I think those tools should enforce these
> features by verifying the sematics of the code, not just
> checking labels attached to functions.

Of course, but this is tough to do for arbitrary characteristics. Look at how much work went into Concepts in C++0x, yet it doesn't even try to verify semantics. As far as I know, no commercially important programming language has any support for compiler checking of user-specified semantics that's any more sophisticated than verifying that a user has asserted that a piece of code has the semantics desired (which is essentially what I'm trying to offer). Note that even "const" in C++ doesn't really respect program semantics, because the compiler enforces bitwise constness, but semantically we want logical constness, and the two are not always the same.

> But where I have to rely on expert knowledege and
> dicipline, I really prefer assigning attributes to much
> larger code entities, like complete libraries, or at least
> at class level. When you start to track something like
> concurrency at the function level, chances are you are
> already in big trouble.

I'm sure the proper granularity depends on the feature. Currently, for example, all exception safety analysis is done on a per-function basis. Similarly, the proper granularity for "side-effect-freeness" is probably the function.

Scott

Rich Sposato

Nickname: rdsposato

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Oct 13, 2008 3:10 PM
This is a really neat ability! My hat's off to Scott Meyers for coming up with a mechanism to check any number of arbitrary constraints on a function at compile time.

I have a few complaints about it. As I discuss this trick, I'd like to use the word "constraints" rather than "features". I know that seems pedantic, but I see Scott Meyer's technique as all about enforcing constraints on functions. Also, I would use the word consistent to describe code that runs the same on multiple platforms - rather than deterministic.

1. What if I want to call some code I found in an open source library or provided by a vendor? I may have no guarantees the code is exception safe, thread safe, or consistent. If use Meyer's code-constraint feature within my functions, but still call other code, I can no longer claim mine is exception safe, thread safe, or consistent. This trick only works if I can pass a parameter into a function and I can't do that with every function I call.

2. It requires passing the features into functions as parameters. I see this more as a weakness akin to Achille's Heal as described in the above paragraph. Is there any to enforce this without using parameters as the mechanism? Something less intrusive?

3. Let's say I already write code and use this trick to show it is exception safe, thread safe, and consistent - and then release my code to users. What if I later want to add more constraints (e.g. - now I say it is portable and has a Big-O constraint of n*n operations). Once my code is out in the wild, I don't see how I can add more constraints to it.

4. As mentioned in a comment by Rupert Kittinger, definitions of thread-safe and portable will vary over time. (e.g. - Today I may call some code portable if it compiles without errors on compilers A and B. Next week, I may decide it is portable if it compiles without errors on compilers B, C, and D.)

Despite these issues, I think Scott Meyer's technique has promise. Again, I compliment you on creating this.

Jesse Williamson

Nickname: chardan

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:39 PM
Hi, I have a question. Is it fair to consider this approach as a case of programming with dependent types? Put another way, is this use acceptable to be thought of as an example of using weakly-dependent types in C++?

_Jesse Williamson ;-};

vicente botet escriba

Nickname: viboes

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: Mar 30, 2010 10:52 PM
Really interesting. Thanks to all the people that have contribute to this.

The intrusive use of the features parameter could be mitigated if we were able to state the features of a function as function traits.

template <typename FUNCTION>
struct features;

struct features<void f(int, double)> {
typedef make_features<ThreadSafe, ExceptionSafe>::type type;
};

struct features<void g()> {
typedef make_features<ThreadSafe, ExceptionSafe, Portable>::type type;
};

We can define a metafunction that states if a given function can call another one

template <typename From, typename To>
struct can_call {
};

Now the user needs just to prefix each call with a static assertion of the calls the function made

void f(int x, double y) {
static_assert(can_call<void f(int, double), void g()>::value>;
g();
}

If we want to avoid the separation of the assertion and the call we can define a forward macro that will statically check if the function can be called.

#define CALL_PROC_FROM(FROM, TO) \
if (false) { static_assert(can_call<FROM, typeof(TO)>::value);}
else TO

CALL_PROC_FROM(void f(int, double), g());
}

we can yet define a macro that uses a CURRENT_FUNCTION macro to add some syntax sugar

#define CALL_PROC(TO) CALL_PROC_FROM(CURRENT_FUNCTION, TO)

#define CURRENT_FUNCTION void f(int, double)
CALL_PROC(g());
#undef CURRENT_FUNCTION
}

We can define also features associated to a class

struct features<C> {
typedef make_features<ThreadSafe>::type type;
};

implying that all the functions of this class share this features, that is the features of the function are the features of the class plus the explicit features of the function.

the metafunction 'can_call' will take care of this.

Advantage of this approach:
* Support controlled call to 3pp functions.
* Support operators.
* Allows to specify code features for groups of functions.
* No impact on runtime performance.
* Improve diagnostics: static assert is enough explicit.
* the user can specialize the can_call metafunction for specific functions directly.

Liabilities:
* Unable to call different functions depending on the provided features. This needs to maintain the feature parameter.

What this approach doesn't address:
* Supporting inheritance among feature classes
* Elimination of AllCodeFeatures
* Improving compile-time performance
* Allowing users to control feature set type conversion policy (see liabilities)

Stanislav Pyatykh

Nickname: pyatykh

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: May 11, 2012 12:32 PM
The last article in The C++ Source was published in 2008.
Is the journal closed?

Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Re: Enforcing Code Feature Requirements in C++ Posted: May 12, 2012 7:59 AM
> The last article in The C++ Source was published in 2008.
> Is the journal closed?
>
Yes, it essentially closed down once the founding editor left.

Bill

Flat View: This topic has 16 replies on 2 pages [ 1  2 | » ]
Topic: Defining "Done" in User Stories Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use