The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Artima Developer Spotlight Forum
Where is Software Development Heading in 2007?

61 replies on 5 pages. Most recent reply: Jan 4, 2007 10:47 AM by John C. Walker

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 61 replies on 5 pages [ « | 1 2 3 4 5 | » ]
Achilleas Margaritis

Nickname: achilleas

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 5:28 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
One year is a very short amount of time for something big to emerge when no such thing is on the horizon. Most probably nothing ground breaking will come up in 2007.

James Watson

Nickname: watson

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 5:47 AM
> For the most part, I believe the "buzz" will be with
> Windows Vista for all the 2007 year, even though for big
> developments it will help the programmers only somewhat in
> the short term. The Ruby and Rails "buzz" will fade a
> little in 2007, and probably some other framework in Ruby
> might provide a better alternative to Rails in 2007. Who
> knows?

Why will there be buzz around Vista? Didn't they drop all the interesting features? It just seems like a bloated upgrade to me. I don't see anyone rushing to get Vista. Where I work, there are still a good number of people running Win2K.

Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 11:31 AM
Here are my predictions for '07:

Virtualization will become even more mainstream. On both the desktop and the server, it will be increasingly common for people to run multiple OSs. I noticed how big virtualization could be in 2006 when I finally found a way to run Linux on my laptop via VMWare. I also understand that Parallels was one of the most popular software packages on the Mac in 2006.

The benefits of desktop virtualization for developers goes beyond testing - it really means that now even more than before we can use the best tool for any given job (Linux/FOSS tools + Windows utilities, etc), and we don't need to make compromises and trade-offs based on platform. It also means a less cluttered work environment (there is little need any more to have more than one machine around).

Amazon Web Services will really change what people focus on in application development. AWS's impact goes beyond just being a nice server virtualization platform: For the first time, anyone can build Web applications with the confidence that data managed by that application can be kept alive continuously. This is because of the way Amazon combined their S3 storage service with their EC2 compute farm, and the incredibly affordable pricing of their service.

First, this opens up the possibility for anyone, even a one-man company, to become a serious contender in providing Web-based apps even to enterprises. For less than the price of a tall Starbucks latte a day, not only can you get your totally custom-configured Linux server, you also get Web connectivity (at 250Mb/s at that), and have access to storage that, for all practical purposes, is as reliable as you could ever build yourself.

Second, the way Amazon priced this service means that you can scale your application horizontally to a pretty large capacity by adding more servers when you need them. Instead of focusing on architecting an app from the start with scaling in mind, you can pretty much start with any stock architecture formula, and just scale by adding more servers until you pretty much know whether your app is a huge success (when you can afford to invest in a re-write to scale even more) or if it just never needs to scale beyond capacity afforded by some stock architecture design.

This will likely be a watershed year for Swing and other rich-client UI toolkits. As more and more types of applications will rely on server-based data - and less on storing data locally - developers will need to make a decision of whether to provide a browser-based UI or a desktop-like UI with Swing, etc., to that data.

Browser-based (Ajax) UI toolkits are rapidly gaining in quality and features, but so does Swing, and Swing still beats all the Ajax toolkits hands-down in every way, except in deployment. The resurgence of the applet maybe wishful thinking, but by the end of 2007, Swing will either gain its rightful place at the table of UI toolkits for Web-based apps, or it will recede into niche status. (I root for the first possibility.)

Ruby and Rails will gain even more momentum. Between the release of Rails 1.2, a fresh edition of Agile Web Development with Rails, the emergence of JRuby, and services like Amazon's EC2, many people will find that Rails more than meets the requirements of their applications and, while not a panacea, does speed up development.

Seam will emerge as one of the main ways developers tackle Java enterprise applications, especially those using JSF.

Due to the emergence of high-quality frameworks, e.g., Rails, Seam, etc, developer discussion will center increasingly on code quality as opposed to, say, frameworks or architecture (those, in turn, will increasingly be considered "solved" problems). This will also be fueled by the release of increasingly better and better code-quality tools.

Jeff Ratcliff

Nickname: jr1

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 12:02 PM
Furthermore Java
> development tools for server side components are still
> better than their MS CLR equivalents.
>

I don't know a lot about Java server side components. Could you be more specific about which components you believe are better and why?

Does Java have the capability to treat a web page as a class you can derive from like ASP.NET does?

James Watson

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 1:23 PM
> Does Java have the capability to treat a web page as a
> class you can derive from like ASP.NET does?

I don't think that question really makes sense. Java is a general language. If someone has developed a class to represent a web page and made it possible to extend it, then it does that.

There are a lot of different tool-sets and frameworks to choose from for backing web pages with Java. I don't know whether any treat a a page as an extensible class off the top of my head (I suspect that many do) but this is pretty trivial compared to what I know some of these frameworks and tool-sets do provide.

Jeff Ratcliff

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 1:32 PM
> I don't think that question really makes sense. Java is a
> general language. If someone has developed a class to
> represent a web page and made it possible to extend it,
> then it does that.
>

Please read the post I was responding to if you don't understand the context of the question.

James Watson

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 1:41 PM
> > I don't think that question really makes sense. Java is
> a
> > general language. If someone has developed a class to
> > represent a web page and made it possible to extend it,
> > then it does that.
> >
>
> Please read the post I was responding to if you don't
> understand the context of the question.

I understand the context. The question doesn't make sense. I don't know how to make that more clear. Perhaps you are asking about JSP?

Tom Ayerst

Nickname: tomayerst

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 1:44 PM
> Furthermore Java
> > development tools for server side components are still
> > better than their MS CLR equivalents.
> >
>
> I don't know a lot about Java server side components.
> Could you be more specific about which components you
> believe are better and why?
>
> Does Java have the capability to treat a web page as a
> class you can derive from like ASP.NET does?

I was not referring to web development. Though I expect one of the web frameworks has a page class. The point is that Java development tools, when not working on GUIs, are better than CLR ones for code analysis, navigation, refactoring etc. MS is catching up with Visual Studio 2005 but it isn't there yet.

Jeff Ratcliff

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 2:40 PM
Thanks for your answer, Tom.

I was careless when reading your post and somehow missed the start of your statement "Java development tools.." and read it to say that Java's server side components were better than MS CLR equivalents, rather than the tools that create them. My questions were based on that incorrect reading.

The fault is mine. My only excuse is that there are no "MS CLR equivalents" to Java development tools, because development tools aren't part of the CLR. So when I read "CLR" I think "run-time". Nevertheless, it's my responsibility to read the whole sentence.

James Watson

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 2:48 PM
> The fault is mine. My only excuse is that there are no "MS
> CLR equivalents" to Java development tools, because
> development tools aren't part of the CLR.

You've got a point here. Would .NET server-side component development tools be more correct?

Joao Pedrosa

Nickname: dewd

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 3:26 PM
"Why will there be buzz around Vista? Didn't they drop all the interesting features? It just seems like a bloated upgrade to me. I don't see anyone rushing to get Vista. Where I work, there are still a good number of people running Win2K."

I think it will have to do with the developer oriented features presented with Vista. One of the most important outcomes of Vista will be the way that it will show how to do some development tasks in a very very very popular way, more than MacOSX ever did, because Windows is much more popular.

I think it will start with those famous little widgets, which are very targeted in nature and are a fun way of adding functionality to your day-to-day.

Another difference will be the fragmentation of development allowed by Windows Vista. It will gives developers plenty of opportunities to tackle the problems in tiered levels, or modular levels if you will. I mean, your application will be able to be as small or large as you want, and the difficulty of doing it that way will be relatively linear, which is cool, because if all you want is one program in a page, it should be very easy to do it and distribute it. Just as well as if you want to create a bigger application, the framework won't get in your way, on the contrary, the framework will be holding your hand all the way.

Let's say that I have built a prototype of what Vista will allow, and I dream of the possibilities allowed by Windows Vista. Maybe I am wrong, but my prototype is real and Vista should be real for consumers real soon.

For the past two years, I have used Linux extensively, so I am not a Microsoft fanboy. But my programming experience tells me that Windows Vista will be groundbreaking, and the only problem with it will be the price/proprietary side of things.

BTW, I did use WPF a little for a week or so, so I know it a little.

Windows Vista will be to the .NET tools what a Java OS could be to the Java tools. The problem is that Windows Vista is real and will be popular. You could say that Java is a strong alternative to the .NET tools, but the playing field will not be a leveled one.

I will try to highlight some of the developer friendly aspects of Windows Vista:
* Free development tools - check!
* Easy development - check!
* Easy deployment - check!
* Support for multiple languages, from scripting to static typed - check!
* Inexpensive report generation - check!
* Sandbox - check!

It even seems to have a minimum cross-platform support with their WPF/E or something, which will not leave MacOSX in the cold.

What can we do against "grassroots"? Nothing. If Vista is any good, it will grow, maybe faster than many folks think.

James Watson

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 6:24 PM
> "Why will there be buzz around Vista? Didn't they drop all
> the interesting features? It just seems like a bloated
> upgrade to me. I don't see anyone rushing to get Vista.
> Where I work, there are still a good number of people
> running Win2K."
>
> I think it will have to do with the developer oriented
> features presented with Vista. One of the most important
> outcomes of Vista will be the way that it will show how to
> do some development tasks in a very very very popular way,
> more than MacOSX ever did, because Windows is much more
> popular.
>
> I think it will start with those famous little widgets,
> which are very targeted in nature and are a fun way of
> adding functionality to your day-to-day.

Widgets are cool and all but they don't strike me as a killer app in any way.

> Another difference will be the fragmentation of
> development allowed by Windows Vista. It will gives
> developers plenty of opportunities to tackle the problems
> in tiered levels, or modular levels if you will. I mean,
> your application will be able to be as small or large as
> you want, and the difficulty of doing it that way will be
> relatively linear, which is cool, because if all you want
> is one program in a page, it should be very easy to do it
> and distribute it. Just as well as if you want to create a
> bigger application, the framework won't get in your way,
> on the contrary, the framework will be holding your hand
> all the way.

I guess I'm a little cynical but I've heard these kinds of promises before.

> Let's say that I have built a prototype of what Vista will
> allow, and I dream of the possibilities allowed by Windows
> Vista. Maybe I am wrong, but my prototype is real and
> Vista should be real for consumers real soon.

You really haven't given any detail of what Vista makes possible. Does it bring anything new?

> For the past two years, I have used Linux extensively, so
> I am not a Microsoft fanboy. But my programming experience
> tells me that Windows Vista will be groundbreaking, and
> the only problem with it will be the price/proprietary
> side of things.

It seems to me that the hardware requirements are a big factor. That will be reduced over time, though.

> BTW, I did use WPF a little for a week or so, so I know it
> a little.
>
> Windows Vista will be to the .NET tools what a Java OS
> could be to the Java tools. The problem is that Windows
> Vista is real and will be popular. You could say that Java
> is a strong alternative to the .NET tools, but the playing
> field will not be a leveled one.

I don't really see them as being very comparable. One of the platforms I work with is OS400. We also use AIX. We probably will need to use Linux. If Vista comes into the picture at all, it will be just another platform. Java runs on all of these.

> I will try to highlight some of the developer friendly
> aspects of Windows Vista:
> * Free development tools - check!
> * Easy development - check!
> * Easy deployment - check!
> * Support for multiple languages, from scripting to static
> typed - check!
> * Inexpensive report generation - check!
> * Sandbox - check!

I don't really find this compelling. Sorry. It's just too vague. None of this seems unique to me either. I've seen beer commercials that tell me their beer is the best tasting when I know their beer is swill. I'm not saying you are wrong, necessarily, but nothing you have said here helps me judge the veracity of your statements. You are offering me a bowl of sugar-water for my dinner.

Joao Pedrosa

Nickname: dewd

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 2, 2007 6:54 PM
"You are offering me a bowl of sugar-water for my dinner."

Exactly. :-)

You know, Vista was expensive. Some numbers say that Vista could have cost a little less than 10 billions. The truth is that the real cost maybe is not known. It could be even more! - When considering everything, even the indirect costs.

So much money has bought a lot of implementations, which are not new necessarily. But money talks! As they say...

I can't say that the investment was worth it for Microsoft. Probably not! Probably we can do without Windows Vista for years to come. But all that technology together is too sweet to go by unnoticed. In my blog, after I wrote about some of my experiences with WPF, I started getting google searches in the logs every week for a couple of popular WPF searches (involving Grid and DataTable).

Even as I was learning about WPF, I found a lot of blogs about it from 1 to 2 years ago, and it's a beta technology still! Imagine it after Vista is released!

The corporate world demands many different kinds of developments. Maybe varying from the critical ones to the almost amateur ones (Access, Excel, Front-Page, ASP, etc). Maybe you are out of the target market of the .NET tools and of the Windows Vista tools. But to many folks out there, for instance, those who are hitting my site logs, maybe for them Vista will be an important.

I don't know if complexity will win in the end. But I generally will bet on simplicity, even if it's too sweet for our tastes. :-)

Biagio Cosenza

Nickname: biacos

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 3, 2007 3:16 AM
:-) i think that this is an hot topic

The most part of nowadays programmers ignore things like "data parallelism" or "processors scalability" or "processors load balancing". They are hard stuff!

I have read books of Michael Quinn, Pacheco, Dongarra and other parallel programming guru, and they suggest a real different approach.

I think that this will be a great topic when we will have 16+ multi core processors in a desktop machine whereas our application use just 1,2 of them!
To have different threads for gui and network connections is not a scalable parallel solution!

Quad core are coming soon:
http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6038148.html
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1826663,00.asp

We all have to answer this question:
"How many core does my software can use?"

V.H.Indukumar

Nickname: vhi

Re: Where is Software Development Heading in 2007? Posted: Jan 3, 2007 5:40 AM
I think with .NET3 (WPF) MS has some real advantages. For example, the ease with which WPF applications can be built is definitely going to change s/w development. But I think 2007 is too early.. It will take atleast 2-3 years before Vista can gain mass deployment, mainly because Vista does not provide much benefits for the *end users*.

Flat View: This topic has 61 replies on 5 pages [ « | 1  2  3  4  5 | » ]
Topic: It's Official: Jini = Apache River Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Rebooting Java Media

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use