The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Lucene 1.9 Released

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 6, 2006 8:14 AM by Frank Sommers

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Lucene 1.9 Released Posted: Mar 3, 2006 9:12 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
The new release of the open-source Java search engine contains over thirty new features and numerous enhancements. Here's a quick look at some of them.
Advertisement
The 1.9 release is mostly source compatible with previous Lucene releases, and provides many new features and enhancements:
  • Support for binary stored fields and stored compressed fields
  • A new DateTools allows formatting of dates in a readable format adequate for indexing. Unlike Lucene's existing DateField, DateTools can handle dates before 1970, and forces the specifying of a desired date resolution, making RangeQuerys more efficient. In addition, a new RangeFilter is a more generically useful filter than DateFilter filter on date ranges.
  • Lucene's QueryParser now works with Analyzers that can return more than one token per position:
    A query such as "+fast +car" would be parsed as "+fast +(car automobile)" if the Analyzer returns "car" and "automobile" at the same position whenever it finds "car."
  • The new NumberTools utility helps index numeric fields.
  • Two new regular expression queries, RegexQuery and SpanRegexQuery, were added.
  • The new DisjunctionMaxQuery provides the maximum score across it's clauses, which is useful for searching across multiple field.
  • The newly added public static IndexReader.main(String[] args) method in IndexReader can now be used at the command line to list and optionally extract the individual files from an existing compound index file.
  • The new ParallelReader is an IndexReader that combines separate indexes over different fields into a single virtual index.
Here's a complete list of new features:

Lucene 1.9 Release Notes

Lucene has been around for while, and is now emerging as a major component of many open-source projects incorporating search. Do you use Lucene in your projects? Do you think general-purpose search engine tools built on Lucene, such as Nutch, can one day challenge current, closed-source search engines?

Anjan Bacchu

Nickname: anjanb

Re: Lucene 1.9 Released Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:16 PM
hi frank,

I'm starting on a project that will use lucene. a post on tss from hani suleiman(http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=39263#202684) suggested using compass-0.8.1 for high level enterprise API.

the book "lucene in action" does NOT discuss compass framework. Can anyone else comment on pros/cons of using compass ?

thank you,

BR,
~A

Anjan Bacchu

Nickname: anjanb

Re: Lucene 1.9 Released Posted: Mar 3, 2006 8:16 PM
hi frank,

I'm starting on a project that will use lucene. a post on tss from hani suleiman(http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=39263#202684) suggested using compass-0.8.1 for high level enterprise API.

the book "lucene in action" does NOT discuss compass framework. Can anyone else comment on pros/cons of using compass ?

thank you,

BR,
~A

Glen Ritchie

Nickname: gmanndsu

Re: Lucene 1.9 Released Posted: Mar 5, 2006 9:50 AM
Interesting,

Frank what do you think of PyLucene? Maybe it is a moot issue. I'm wondering "which one" I should start with.

Thanks, Glen

Frank Sommers

Nickname: fsommers

Re: Lucene 1.9 Released Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:14 AM
> Interesting,
>
> Frank what do you think of PyLucene? Maybe it is a moot
> issue. I'm wondering "which one" I should start with.

I'm not familiar with PyLucene. But we're looking into Java Lucene at Artima.com, and will be looking more intensely in the coming months, as most of the Artima.com search capabilities will be facilitated by Lucene. Stay tuned, as we'll most certainly blog about our experience.

I'd be curious, though, to hear of others' experience in using Lucene as an underlying search tool for a large-scale Web site. How does Lucene scale in practice, for instance?

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: Lucene 1.9 Released Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: JVM-Level Support for Dynamic Languages Proposed

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use