The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Community News
Steve Yegge: What the Next Big Language Will Be

63 replies on 5 pages. Most recent reply: Feb 20, 2007 11:39 PM by Andrew Inggs

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 63 replies on 5 pages [ « | 1 ... 2 3 4 5 ]
Dick Ford

Nickname: roybatty

Re: Steve Yegge: What the Next Big Language Will Be Posted: Feb 20, 2007 10:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> > Nothing is pain free in interop. C just happens to be
> the
> > least painful at this time.
>
> Because as an accident of history most (all?) current
> commercially significant OS are written in C (or C++).

Most of IT is "accidental", but generally C is a lowest-common denominator because of its procedural nature. Even today, most systems libraries are written in C and not C++.

Dick Ford

Nickname: roybatty

Re: Steve Yegge: What the Next Big Language Will Be Posted: Feb 20, 2007 10:02 AM
> Can we please get rid of C? most of the problems in IT is
> due to C :-).

For the most part, C has been "gotten rid of" at the applications level. I'd argue that we need to "get rid of" C++ more than C though.

John Calcote

Nickname: jcalcote

Re: Steve Yegge: What the Next Big Language Will Be Posted: Feb 20, 2007 10:40 AM
I would have to agree regarding ECMAScript - perhaps 2.0, except for the performance issue. This was the first thing that came to mind as soon as I read the first couple of points made by the original poster.

Andrew Inggs

Nickname: aminggs

Bruce Eckel has come to a similar conclusion Posted: Feb 20, 2007 11:39 PM
As several people have pointed out, I believe Steve is referring to ECMAScript, and I think the clues come from all the ActionScript/Flash/Flex/Apollo news flashes. That said, I'm surprised nobody has linked to Bruce Eckel's Hybridizing Java article http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=193593 here on Artima, where he comes to similar conclusions, although Bruce still advocates using Java on the back end.

Flat View: This topic has 63 replies on 5 pages [ « | 2  3  4  5 ]
Topic: Atlassian Releases Bamboo, a Continuous Integration Server Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sun Creates Project Woodstock JSF Repository

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use