The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

News & Ideas Forum (Closed for new topic posts)
Vulnerablity and Insecurity at Microsoft

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Feb 24, 2003 2:05 AM by Vincent O'Sullivan

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Vulnerablity and Insecurity at Microsoft Posted: Feb 21, 2003 9:45 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Simon Phipps writes, "I was surprised at that talk by how hostile the reaction I got from the other speakers was. Jeff Prosise later explained that any mention of open source is felt by the Microsoft community to be a form of attack on them, so even though I had been speaking pretty abstractly about the idea it was taken badly."

http://www.webmink.net/2003_02_16_oldblog.htm#90352127

Here's another excerpt from this entry in Simon's weblog:

During the afternoon, Neil came over to me and said that some of the other speakers (no names) had been incensed that I covered Java in my talk and said they had asked that I not participate in the evening Q & A. We reached an accommodation. End of history.

Now, what's interesting here is the dimension it illuminates for me of the outlook of Microsoft insiders. This is the first time I have ever had other speakers approach the event organiser and ask for me to be removed from the agenda, and naturally my first reaction was to feel hurt, shamed and insulted (in roughly that order). I have gone out of my way, being aware this is billed as '.Net Nirvana', to be non-partisan and inclusive and to avoid at all costs criticising either .Net or Microsoft -- only one slide out of everything I have presented has even attempted a comparison.

But the more I think about it, the more it resonates with what I have read in books like 'Hard Drive' about Microsoft's ethos being one of 'Win at all costs, and they are all out to get us'. It seems the automatic assumption of some of the other speakers was that I was in some way 'out to get' Microsoft, that my agenda was attack, so despite that being absent from my intent it was read in as a sub-text to what I said. Considering that the people involved represent the attitudes of the largest, most aggressive company in my industry, immune from almost every attack and even able to shrug off conviction under the Sherman Act like a speeding ticket from a small-town cop, they showed a vulnerablity and insecurity which speaks volumes of the way Microsoft likes its people to feel and act. I stand educated.

What do you think of Simon's comments?

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Vulnerablity and Insecurity at Microsoft Posted: Feb 24, 2003 2:05 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Simon's comments are interesting but, in all honesty, without knowing;
a) what he was billed to say,
b) what he actually said,
c) why he wasn't asked back (the gints gven are somewhat vague), and finally
d) hearing comments from others present (co-presenters and audience),
then, with the best will in the world, it is impossible to give any meaningful comment on his comments.

Vince O'Sullivan.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: Create an XML Reporter for Your Unit Tests Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Bloggers, Pheromones, and Ants

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use