The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Answers Forum
JAVA Applets from Adobe Flash/MS Silverlight?

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Aug 1, 2008 9:15 PM by David Halitsky

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
David Halitsky

Nickname: halitsky

JAVA Applets from Adobe Flash/MS Silverlight? Posted: Jul 29, 2008 9:12 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
SAP has recently announced that it will no longer support invocation of JAVA applets directly from its "WebDynpro" applications. (Until recently, SAP supported an "iframe UI element that could be used to run JAVA applets from within WebDynpro applications - now this can only be done in frames within SAP's portal.)

However, SAP will be supporting invocation of Adobe Flash and MS Silverlight from within its WebDynpro Applications.

So here's my question.

From an SAP WebDynpro application, I want to pass parameters to the JAVA applet "JMol" and have it run in a separate frame. Since I won't be able to call this applet directly from the SAP WebDynpro application, I'm wondering if I could pass parameters to Adobe Flash or MS Silverlight and have Flash or Silverlight invoke the applet for me with the correct parameters. (I would still only want two frames - the one that the SAP app is running in and the one that the JAVA applet winds up running in.)

Relevant links for this question are:

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=939821&tstart=0

and its follow-up here:

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=972132&tstart=0

Thanks for any time anyone can afford to spend considering this question, and for any answer(s) anyone can provide.

David Halitsky

David Halitsky

Re: JAVA Applets from Adobe Flash/MS Silverlight? Posted: Jul 29, 2008 11:25 AM
I can refine my question in the following way:

This link:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/external_interface.html

talks about calling javascript from flash.

So when I'm in javascript, can't I just invoke an applet ?

Trond Olsen

Nickname: tolsen

Re: JAVA Applets from Adobe Flash/MS Silverlight? Posted: Jul 31, 2008 5:33 AM
You could use the ExternalInterface.call("javascriptFunction", arg1, arg2) from the Flash object to call Javascript and next setup a javascript function that passes the arguments to the Applet object. Works the other way around too with Javascript relaying the arguments.

David Halitsky

Re: JAVA Applets from Adobe Flash/MS Silverlight? Posted: Aug 1, 2008 9:15 PM
Thanks, Trond.

Have asked them if they think your solution is workable, or if there is some other problem with it.

djh

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: trying to improve code to avoid java.lang.OutOfMemory error Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: help me analyze the error..pls

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use