The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Readable Method Calls in Java

30 replies on 3 pages. Most recent reply: Aug 4, 2005 10:52 PM by Matt Gerrans

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ 1 2 3 | » ]
Eric Armstrong

Nickname: cooltools

Readable Method Calls in Java (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Jul 12, 2005 6:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
This article gives you a simple trick you can use to make your Java method calls more readable when the list of parameters contains booleans and numeric primitives.
Advertisement

Now that I've gotten myself onto the Groovy mailing list, I'm getting involved in language discussions again. I love those. The axe I generally grind in those discussions is readability. To me, that is an overlooked strength of the Java language that goes a long way towards explaining its popularity as a vehicle for production applications and for teaching. A recent discussion reminded me of a trick I use to make method calls more readable in Java--which can become something of a problem when the list of parameters contains booleans and numeric primitives. In this article, I share that trick with you.

The Problem: Mysterious Primitives #

You're looking through code written by someone else, or that you wrote long ago (in a galaxy far away), and you find a method call like this:

addValue(13, 47, true);

The question is, what do the parameters mean?

Of course, you can search for the addValue method, navigate to it, and read it to find out what the values mean, but that means you're no longer reading the code, so much as translating it. It's as though you're reading a book written in a foreign language, with the book in one hand and a translation dictionary in the other. If you only have to do it once in a while, it's not too bad. But if you're doing it all the time, it becomes a problem.

In general, code that has to be "translated" is a major headache for the hapless victim who has been tasked with modifying it--a victim who more often than not turns out to be myself, 6 months later when I have completely forgotten all of the things I had in my head when I wrote the original version. So in an effort to make things slightly simpler for my future self, I began looking for ways to make such method calls more readable.

A Simple Solution: Adding Variables #

A simple solution is to add variables that make the meaning clear:

int value = 13;

int location = 47;
boolean overwrite = true;
addValue(value, location, overwrite);

That code is self-documenting, so it's quite a bit more readable. It does add some length, though. And the next time you invoke addValue in the same scope, the code has to change slightly to remove the variable declarations:

value = 13;
location = 47;
overwrite = true;

It's a small thing, I know, but the code just became a little less consistent. And it's 3 lines longer every time you make that call.

To shorten the code, you might be tempted to reuse a variable like overwrite, for example. The code then reduces to

value = 13;
location = 47;

That's shorter, but the reader has just gone back into the translation business. To make sense of the code, they have to answer the following questions:

• Is overwrite a boolean or an integer?
    (To answer that, they have to find the definition.)

• Does it have a default value? Has the value changed anywhere?
    (For that, they have to inspect the code for all occurences of assignments to the variable.)

The simple solution does improve readability to a degree, if you avoid the trap of reuse. But it turns out that there is an even better way to make your method calls readable.

A Better Solution: "Named Parameters" #

The solution that provides maximum readability is to declare variables without defining them, and do the assignments only when using them in a method call. The code template looks like this:

int value; int location; boolean overwrite;

doIt(value=13, location=47, overwrite=true);

Although I usually don't declare multiple variables on a single line, I do so here to indicate that they are never intended to take a default value.

Note:
Some sort of naming scheme might also make sense for that purpose. For example, a Hungarian prefix like "z" could be used to indicate a parameter-variable. It would sound like French-English for "the", and would produce variable names like zValue, zLocation, and zOverwrite. Any reference to such a variable that did not also provide a value would be considered a stylistic error. (In the ideal word, either the compiler or a lint-sytle utility would give you a warning.)

With this mechanism, the method call doIt(value=13, location=47, overwrite=true) now accomplishs three goals, all at the same time, in the least possible space:

• It makes it clear that you're passing two integers and a boolean.
  • It specifies the values you're passing.
  • It names the values, so you know what purpose they serve.

Finally, note that the ordering of these "named parameters" is always preserved. The names exist for semantic clarification--they do not permit you to change the order of the parameters--a facility which tends to produce readability problems of its own.

Conclusion #

Using "named parameters" for boolean and numeric primitives is way to go for readable method calls.

Michael Feathers

Nickname: mfeathers

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 12, 2005 7:36 PM
I avoid writing methods that accept booleans along with other parameters. I don't know where I got that idea from, I think it was Bertrand Meyer, something about passing control flags. But the reason is pretty much the same as what you gave; the values "true" and "false" in an argument list don't tell you anything, and it is hard to remember what the positive condition is. Moreover, removing the condition usually gives us a more descriptive set of method names:

addValueAtLocation(value,location)
overwriteValueAtLocation(value,locat ion)

If we could remove some duplication here, we could make it even more readable. We'd have to find a good name for a type that holds a value and a location. Nothing is occuring to me right now. It's a shame. If we could find something like that, we could end up with two single arg methods named addValue and overwriteValue.

Kelley Harris

Nickname: kelley

C++ too Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 12, 2005 10:07 PM
FYI, your idea seems to work in C++ too:

#include <cassert>

void doIt(int value, int location, bool overWrite) {
assert( (value == 1) && (location == 2) && (overWrite == true) );
}

void main(){
int value; int location; bool overWrite;
doIt(value = 1, location = 2, overWrite = true);
}

I'll be on the look out for uses in my daily work.

Two thoughts:
1) It's a concern not to initialize the variables with the declaration.

2) It seems like most IDEs will show you the method prototype, if you hover over it with a mouse.

But your idea would have helped me read code in many situations.

Thanks

Dirk Detering

Nickname: det

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 12:18 AM
I like your solution:
Refactor the boolean into two methods, give the method a
significant name and you don't need to declare the arguments.

This will indeed help in many cases.

But if you would create a parameter type to contain value and location you have the drawback of:

- creating a new unnecessary object
- decreased readablility as it is easier to grep addValueAtLocation(13,47)instead of addValueAtLocation( myValLoc ) as you have to look for the concrete values on other places now (it's somewhat a reverse of the translation problem).

----
We can stop here or give a totally wider approach and ask,
if our problem perhaps is a problem of the design, and why a "location", which contains a value, is not an object.

Then you would perhaps be able to code:

getLocation(47).setValue(13)

It is now implementation detail of the owner of getLocation to perhaps create a new instance if no Location for 47 exists.

(But, well, this only is applicable if you are responsible for the owner's design and not if it is a third party library).

Dirk Detering

Nickname: det

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 12:22 AM
Sorry, thought that I was replying to a reply ...
My post referred to the post of Michael Feathers

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 12:52 AM
A very good article but with one jarring item:.
> Although I usually don't declare multiple variables on
> a single line, I do so here to indicate that they are never intended to take
> a default value.

Unfortunately that intention, whilst it may be clear to you, is not apparent in the code. If I see a line like that when maintaining code it immediately puts me into a 'high alert' state on the grounds that I appear to be dealing with code written by someone who is not familiar with common coding standards or whose codeing style is simply 'thoughtless' - both interpretations which would be wide of the mark in this case.

Now I appreciate that the fashion these days is to eschew all comments from the code but I think this would be a case where a short comment would usefully clarify the intention, e.g.
   // Clarify parameter values.

Noam Tamim

Nickname: noamtm

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 1:55 AM
What's wrong with something like this:
addValue(/*value*/ 13, /*location*/ 47, /*overwrite*/ true);

Or, if you want the types too:
addValue(/*int value*/ 13, /*int location*/ 47, /*boolean overwrite*/ true);

And if you don't like long lines:
addValue(/*int value*/ 13, 
         /*int location*/ 47, 
         /*boolean overwrite*/ true);

I use this "trick" every time there's an unnamed constant to pass to a method (which doesn't happen very often).

- Noam.

Martin Bromley

Nickname: bromley

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 3:23 AM
I'm with Noam on this. My unsightly variation is as follows:

// value, location, overwrite
addValue(13, 47, true);

I think that declaring extra variables would add confusion and potentially slow down execution speed (albeit minimally), assuming a clever compiler didn't strip them out.

Michael Feathers

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 5:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this discussion has gone odd?

If we want more readable method calls, the first thing we should do is look at the method name and figure out how to make it explain what the call means to the user.

Using temps is a neat trick, but it is like saying, well, when 2+2 produces 5, we'll decrement the 5.

Better names solve the problem.

Keith Ray

Nickname: keithray

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 6:29 AM
Eschew boolean parameters... and use better method names.

addValueAtLocationOverwriting(12, 47);

addValueAtLocationNoOverwriting(12,47);

or declare classes for value and location

addOverwriting( Value(12), Location(47) );

addNoOverwrite( Value(12), Location(47) );

Objective-c and Smalltalk split the method name into pieces, so the equivalent in those languages is:

someObject addValue: 12 atLocation: 47 overwriting: true

Noam Tamim

Nickname: noamtm

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 6:49 AM
> Eschew boolean parameters... and use better method
> names.
> or declare classes for value and location

Why add so much overhead just to solve a simple problem?

- Noam.

Michael Feathers

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 7:16 AM
> > Eschew boolean parameters... and use better method
> > names.
> > or declare classes for value and location
>
> Why add so much overhead just to solve a simple problem?
>
>
> - Noam.

Well, skip the additional classes for a second. Better method names aren't overhead. They're an investment in understanding and they cost nothing except the time it takes to think them up.

On readability, addValueAtLocation(12,47) and overwriteValueAtLocation(12,47) are much better than addValue(12,47,false) and addValue(12,47,true)

Dirk's getLocation protocol is very nice too. I might move to it if the number of location parametered methods increases. Is there a little performance hit in doing that?

Possibly, but performance matters only when it matters, and when it does you find the critical path. Optimizing off the critical path is throwing money away. In this case, keeping the old names with those parameters without any urgent performance need is just hazardous:

addValue(12,47)
addValue(47,12)

Eric's suggestion is fine when people use it, but it requires constant diligence. If we're up for constant diligence, why not be diligent about names so that we don't have to be as diligent at call sites? Save some work?

Kelley Harris

Nickname: kelley

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 8:15 AM
I'm liking the refactored naming approach Michael Feathers is recommending, when renaming is possible. But there seem to be situations where renaming is not feasible (3rd-party libraries, fixed APIs, big gradual safe refactorings, etc), it seems like some of the various ideas discussed in this thread are ways to clarify the intent of the code.

Of those ways, I'm liking the approach of initializing local variables, because it's clear, and allows comments about where the magic number comes from, and maybe its units. example:

int value = 10; // meters, mid-range
int location = 5; // feet, lower-left corner
doIt( value, location);

or possibly

int valueMidRangeMeters = 10;
int locationLowerLeftFeet = 5;
doIt( valueMidRangeMeters, locationLowerLeftFeet);

Within the spirit of the thread, some other ideas include:

doIt(10, 5); // doIt(int value, int location)

or shorter versions like:

doIt(10.0, 5.0); // value, location

Preference: Focus on naming: mehtods, then local variables.

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 8:49 AM
This is true if we control the code and can change the method name but the problem still remains if we are using a badly named library method whose signature we cannot change.

Ron Yang

Nickname: b0b0b0b

Re: Readable Method Calls in Java Posted: Jul 13, 2005 9:59 AM
My 2 cents. This way when you run your auto-formatter, it won't jumble your hints all onto one line.

doIt(13 //int value
,47 //int location
,true //boolean overwrite
);

Flat View: This topic has 30 replies on 3 pages [ 1  2  3 | » ]
Topic: Generics vs. Dynamic Checking Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Are Tests First Class Clients?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use