The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Programming with "Duh" Typing

370 replies on 371 pages. Most recent reply: Aug 8, 2007 9:54 AM by James Watson

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 370 replies on 371 pages [ « | 1 ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 ... 371  | » ]
James Watson

Nickname: watson

Re: word games Posted: Jul 30, 2007 3:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
> James Watson wrote
> > I prefer ambiguity to useless oversimplifications. I
> find
> > it strange that you think defining 'correct' as
> "passing
> > all tests" to be preferable to the commonly understood
> > "meets all requirements".
>
> Where is it commonly understood that 'correct' means
> "meets all requirements"?

On earth. You should visit sometime.

> Programs are verified "correct" against a specification -
> in contrast, the only way we can validate the program
> "meets all requirements" is to ask someone "is this what
> you wanted?".

The definition of specification that would apply here would be: "precise documentation of requirements." I love that you accused me of 'quarreling over definitions'.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+specification&btnG=Google+Search

* A precise statement of a set of requirements, to be satisfied by a material, product, system or service. It is desirable that the requirements, together with their limits, should be expressed numerically in appropriate units

* The English word specification has a few meanings, or word senses. The Webster's New World Dictionary gives the following meaning: "2 [usually pl.] a)a detailed description of the parts of a whole b) a statement or enumeration of particulars, as to actual or required size, quality, performance, terms, etc. [specifications for a new building]".

* a clear and accurate description of the technical requirements for materials, products, or services including the minimum requirement for materials' quality and construction and any equipment necessary for an acceptable product. In general, specifications are in the form of written descriptions, drawings, prints, commercial designations, industry standards, and other descriptive references.

* Detailed, exact statement of required particulars, especially a statement prescribing the construction, operating environment, functions, performance, or quality of a product

* In engineering and manufacturing, the term specification has the following meanings: An essential technical requirement for items, materials, or services, including the procedures to be used to determine whether the requirement has been met. Specifications may also include requirements for preservation, packaging, packing, and marking. See requirements analysis.

> > If we use the 'passes all tests' definition, a program
> > that is not tested is, by definition, correct.
>
> If we apply the same level of absurdity to your suggested
> definition we will conjure up an equally absurd
> conclusion.

Do you mean, a software application with no requirements is correct? Or more clearly, a software application with no requirements cannot be incorrect. Actually, that makes perfect sense. I wish I could get more people to understand that it is in fact the case.

Flat View: This topic has 370 replies on 371 pages [ « | 304  305  306  307  308  309  310  311  312 | » ]
Topic: Programming with "Duh" Typing Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Python 3000 Plea for Help

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use