The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Weblogs Forum
Will PCs (Start) to Replace Consumer Electronics?

3 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Mar 18, 2009 2:19 AM by Vincent O'Sullivan

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
John McClain

Nickname: pdp8

Will PCs (Start) to Replace Consumer Electronics? (View in Weblogs)
Posted: Mar 14, 2009 12:18 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Summary
Netbooks are becoming price and size competitive with certain classes of consumer electronics. Will this trigger a shift in the market?
Advertisement

For the past 10+ years I have been looking on and off for a small, quite computer to serve as a networked music player in the living room, kitchen, etc. I always found that the small computers were expensive and/or a pain to develop for so a year or two ago I gave up my search. Last week a friend of mine was talking about his new netbook and when I looked into it I was surprised to find that you can now buy a small, quite, complete PC for $250.

At $250 and less than 80 cubic inches (1.3 liters) these netbooks are becoming cost and size competitive with various classes of consumer electronic devices. Could netbooks replace phones, picture frames, media players, alarm clocks, GPS devices, radios, e-book readers, remote controls, calculators, weather stations, and portable game systems? The potential for this sort of shift exists because netbooks could enable entrepreneurial software developers to re-conceive these consumer electronic devices (really functions) in a network centric way (whether those networks are personal, local, wide area, or social).

There are a lot of "yes buts" here. In particular dedicated consumer electronic devices tend to have better industrial design and dedicated hard user interface elements (e.g. a snooze button). The hypothesis is that by moving consumer electronics to a generic platform new developers will be able to come into the market, bringing new features that will make using a netbook as phone/radio/etc. compelling in spite of generic industrial design.

Also the user interfaces of consumer electronic devices are often not that good. Yes telephones have an optimal interface for dialing a phone number, but they are really bad at doing anything else (getting your voice mail, picking up a waiting call, etc.) and who wants to dial a phone number anyway? You want to call Joe, not 555-3437. As we expect our consumer electronic devices to process more and more information good interfaces will require big color bit mapped screens, pointing devices, and keyboards.

Do I expect my next alarm clock to be a Netbook? Probably not. A full blown computer is still a bit expensive and a few more pieces have to fall into place (software platform? new form factors?). However my guess is that high end desk phones, portable video media players (though DRM is an issue here), and fixed location audio players are ripe for this sort of transition.

Elizabeth Wiethoff

Nickname: ewiethoff

Re: Will PCs (Start) to Replace Consumer Electronics? Posted: Mar 14, 2009 9:35 PM
"Will PCs (Start) to Replace Consumer Electronics?" I hope not. General-purpose computers are too complicated for most non-geeks, too easy for the user or malware to screw up somehow. Imagine countless people calling GeekSquad whenever their picture frames, media players, GPS devices, radios, e-book readers, remote controls, calculators, etc. exhibit mysterious behavior or are simply too confusing. Plus, contemplate all the toxic garbage of discarded PCs. The garbage of today's conventional remote control is a lot simpler than the garbage of a PC.

Achilleas Margaritis

Nickname: achilleas

Re: Will PCs (Start) to Replace Consumer Electronics? Posted: Mar 17, 2009 7:22 AM
I think PCs will replace consumer electronic devices, but with running software tailored specifically for the task at hand. They will be cheaper to manufacture than consumer electronic devices.

Vincent O'Sullivan

Nickname: vincent

Re: Will PCs (Start) to Replace Consumer Electronics? Posted: Mar 18, 2009 2:19 AM
It's already started. Both my kids (12 & 13) have a small laptop (Asus Eee PC). Neither of them have CDs or a CD player nor expressed any interest in them. Nor do they have radios or TVs in their bedrooms. All that functionality they have found for themselves on the internet via their laptops.

Flat View: This topic has 3 replies on 1 page
Topic: Comparing DSLs in Ruby and Scala Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Adventures of a Pythonista in Schemeland: Table of Contents

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use